Do You Use Snow Leopard Or Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ixodes, Apr 27, 2012.

?

What OS Do You Use ?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2013.
  1. I Use Lion 10.7.x

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. I Use Snow Leopard 10.6.x

56 vote(s)
    47.9%
  3. I Use Another OS

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

A poll to see which Operating System, MacRumors members are using.

If you wish to say why you prefer the one you're using that's great, but let's not argue which is best. This is *not* Snow Leopard VS. Lion, it's OR.

The "other choice" is for those running Linux or another OS.

Thanks for your participation.

2. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

3. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Snow Leopard. Lion is a joke. If Apple continues along the ios path, I'll be a Windows only user

4. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

Might want to stick with Windows 7 then...

[​IMG]

5. Bear macrumors G3

A rather good point. Windows 8 looks rather odd.

6. musty345 macrumors regular

musty345

Just out of interest, if you could pick Lion or Snow Leopard, and they were both free and your system could run them etc. why would you prefer Snow Leopard over Lion? I spent a few hours with Snow Leopard (my mac shipped with snow leopard, but lion had just come out) and it seemed great, but Lion seems better with launchpad and iCloud support...

7. sprkplgmama macrumors newbie

ipad 2 question

As I recently made the leap to Apple and bought an iMac to better sync with my iPad2, I'm still trying to learn the benefits of the different operating systems. Ultimately, my goal is to have the system that communicates with the ipad2 the best as that is my primary use. I am currently running SL but will change to Lion if that is preferred. Any thoughts from those of you who are significantly more informed on this subject?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A poll question with an assumption...

Leopard here.
    I imagine someone is still using OS9. ;)

9. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Lion.

I for one can't wait for the next release of OS X! Am I the only one that likes the way apple is going (to an extent)? I do think though if Apple starts really breaking that separator between OS X an iOS I may not upgrade anymore. Mac and iPhone/iPad are two different things and really need to stay that way. Maybe a few features borrowed here or there, but not too many.

10. ellaimac macrumors regular

I saw a user here named Cassie who is using OS 9

11. shelob8888 macrumors member

Lion

I have been very happy running Lion since it came out, and really like the added multi-touch gestures and unification of "spaces and expose" to Mission Control (even though the name seems silly). Even on my mid-late 2008 mbp (non uni-body), it runs super smooth.

I am super excited for the next os, with notifications (cause growl is ancient and unreliable)

I would be anxious to hear why people are not a fan of Lion, and why they prefer Snow Leopard.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I run Lion on my MBP and Snow Leopard on my Mini. The mini is a bit light in ram so I opted to keep it on SL. Its for the Kids and they have little need for any of the Lion features.

13. WSR macrumors regular

Snow Leopard here. My list of problems with Lion are:

#1 The downgrading of Spaces and Expose. I find Mission Control to be less powerful, and I'm sure Apple can give us a choice between Classic Spaces/Expose and Mission Control.
    #2 Lion's Full-Screen mode makes multiple monitors nearly useless. Snow Leopard's Full-Screen mode is in general better. True this is specific to the app, but it generally worked better, especially when you want to watch a video in Full-screen mode on 1 monitor while continuing to work on the 2nd monitor.
    #3 The loss of the "Save As..." option.
    #4 The loss of "Do you want to Save?" I want control over what is saved, and what is not saved.
    #5 I don't want Resume, Versions or AutoSave and not all of these can be turned off.

Some of these are being addressed in Mountain Lion, i.e. Expose, but for me Snow Leopard is still better.

I don't want new features like Mission Control removed. I just want the options to return the features that where removed from SL. I wouldn't want people who like the new features to go through what some of us are going though who preferred the features from SL that where removed.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

10.7.4 on my MBP, which I use the most (so that's what I voted for).
    10.6.8 on my Hac.
    9.2.2 on my Blue and White.

15. shelob8888 macrumors member

Just curious... how exactly is Mission Control a "downgraded" version of Spaces and Expose? When it has been streamlined and combined (not two separate key strokes as in Snow Leopard) and with multiple monitors, your desktops are easily rearranged and applications remember by default which space they were in (which is not true for SL)...

16. WSR macrumors regular

Even though what you said may be true, it still comes down to preferences and a lack of choices.

1. In SL, I can access either Spaces or Expose. I'm not forced to do both like in Lion. Thus, on this point alone, to me it's a downgrade, since I have less choices.

2. On rearranging of Desktops(Spaces), though technically you can't move the Spaces, you can move all apps in a Space to another Space giving a similar effect. You just have to grab a part of the Space where there isn't a window open and you can drag all apps from one Space to another. Also note I prefer the fixed grid of SL's Spaces since I don't have to hunt to see where a Space might have moved to because another Space was created by say an app going Full-Screen. For Example, I always know that iTunes, if open, would be in my top-right Space, #3 out of 9. Therefore, I can move to it quickly with 2 clicks on my mouse and barely looking at the Spaces. Note the 2 clicks are activating Spaces which is a button on my mouse, and then selecting the Spaces. I don't have to activate Expose.

3. While mentioning rearranging, note that in SL I can easily move any app from any Space to any other Space, while it's my understanding that in Lion you can only move apps involving the current Space. This would be another reason I think of it as a downgrade since in SL I can activate Spaces once and rearrange the apps as much as I want without leaving the Spaces screen. In Lion, you might have to keep changing the current Desktop to rearrange apps on other desktops.

4. As for apps remembering what Desktop(Space) they where in by default this is definitely a preference. I prefer the default is to open in the current Space, and then I just set which ones I want to always open in a specific Space and which ones I want in All Spaces. So though you can do what you described in SL, your right in that it's not the default.

Overall, I see Mission Control as a mix of too many things, and it also lost some of the abilities which I use in SL.

Again, I don't want to see Mission Control removed. I just want the abilities of SL that are lost in Lion to be returned.

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

All of the above?

My situation isn't listed.

Lion on my iMac and MacBook Pro.
    Snow Leopard on two Mac minis used as entertainment centers
    Snow Leopard Server (is the Snow Leopard or "other") on my Mac mini server
    Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex
    Windows 7, XP, 2000, and several Linux distros in virtual machines.

All are best at what they do.

18. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

19. TSE macrumors 68030

I prefer Snow Leopard for various reasons:

1. There is a confirmed issue of battery life shortenings from upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard on 2011 MacBook Pros.

2. Snow Leopard is simpler and easier to use than Lion. I don't get all the mouse gestures and added utilities in Lion.

3. Snow Leopard does everything I need.

The way I view Lion, Mountain Lion, and Windows 8 are all the same: An awkward transition from computing we have known since the Graphical UI first came to PCs to the touch or gesure oriented UIs that will be mainstream within the next decade. I will hold onto Windows 7 and Snow Leopard until they create a final product.

20. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

21. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

I voted Lion, but I'm actually using both. I've got Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro and Lion on my MacBook Pro. I don't hate Lion except for the fact that several programs that I have grown to really like (e.g. Growl) are now only available through the App Store. All of the things that really annoyed me (Launchpad, the App Store, reverse scrolling) I've been able to simply ignore. Other than that, I've managed to get Lion to behave quite well.

22. Eithanius macrumors 65816

23. crashnburn, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

crashnburn macrumors 6502

This is what I feel.

----------
    Maflynn
    - Instead of so many threads.. Can we merge some of them?
    - Also, can we instead have a Chart/ Table/ Comparison sheet where Pros vs Cons / Likes vs Dislikes / Feature Changes/ differences are outlined?
    - Also, "Hacks" / Tweaks that people have made to Lion to bring some of the SL back or the other way around.
    - A little master book that will be a central guide that has opinions from both sides and from the middle..
    - Benefits & Functional improvements when having an iPad/ iPhone and other iDevices in the ECO system

In all honesty.. I'd love to see a COMPARISON MATRIX/ TABLE between the two. Because, after reading so many threads on this matter, its not a straight Win 7 is better than Vista thing.

And if it can be on a Wiki kind of thing that can be UPDATED over time, we could always have a CONSISTENT view of SL vs Lion with an Objective Viewpoint.

So, people can choose/ always know the Pros vs Cons of how features and functionality differ and have changed.

Democracy & Choice.