Do you use the Antivirus that comes with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doxavita, May 28, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I would like to know if any of you use the Antivirus that comes with Parallels. (it's a complete 1 year license powered by Kaspersky I believe).

Is it a good choice? Do you renew after the year is over? Better options out there? What needs to be done to keep a Windows 7 VM safe without breaking the bank every year?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Kaspersky is of the devil :)

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials (free)

But you can try Avast, AVG or Avira... they all have free versions

3. csjcsj macrumors member

csjcsj

the most important thing is to watch what you download. I haven't used any anti-virus software with Parallels for years and have never had a problem. I also don't use any Windows mail programs, so that avenue of infection isn't a problem either.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Famous last words. You have no idea how many Windows users said the same thing only to discover that their computers were infected up to the wahzoo. The goal of most virus writer is for his malware to remain undetected. If this increases the chances that the virus will proliferate and perform its nefarious deeds.

5. wpotere Guest

Agree, you should never run Windows machines without any AV. MS Essentials is pretty good and what I use on my PC.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've had great luck with AVG. My company uses it on our corporate Dell laptops and I use it personally on my Mac in Windows 7. Free and unintrusive. I installed it on my mom's desktop (older woman who got viruses frequently) and according to her logs, it blocked 7 infections in the past 6 months.