Do you use the Buddy/Ignore List? What are the benefits?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dartzorichalcos, Apr 25, 2007.

?

Do you use Buddy/Ignore List?

1. Yes

38.7%
  2. No

61.3%
  1. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

How many of you use the Buddy List or Ignore List? What are the benefits of using that system. I searched for a thread like this but haven't found anything.
    Thanks

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I don't use it on this forum, but I have on other forums. The ignore list is helpful if there is a poster who you don't necessarily care for, so rather then get yourself into trouble you just ignore him.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I can't be bovvered to actually do things.
    If I don't like someone's posts, I read them, MENTALLY call them a moron, but don't post about it. :)

4. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The ignore feature keeps me from being banned, thus, I use the ignore list as needed.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Don't use the ignore list, but I do use the buddy feature.

Helps when browsing via Forum Spy, and it's nifty if I ever wanted to only accept PMs from those on my Buddy List. :)

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the ignore list is useful.

the buddy list has its uses too. a recent update made it an option to only allow people on your buddy list to PM you if you'd rather normally not allow that for everyone, its a nice option for those who you trust ect to stay in contact that way, etc etc.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope...I like to hear what people have to say, before I judge it. Some one can be an arse about Macs, but want to get out of Iraq. I'd agree with them about Iraq, and disagree about Mac, however I'd need to be able to see their post to do this!

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

One nice thing about the ignore lists is that you don't have to actually ignore. The posts are still there to click on if they look like they might be interesting in context, but the benefit of less-noisy threads is still there too.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I actually don't use the Buddy/Ignore list on this forum, but I do on some other forums.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I do use the Buddy List, primarily to spot certain people's posts in Forum Spy.

As a mod, I can't really put too many people on my Ignore List...it would make moderation a bit more difficult.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use the buddy list, but not the ignore list. It makes it easy to see if your buddy is online, because there is a little plus sign next to thier name on the active members box at the bottom of the main forum page.:)

12. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I use the Ignore List sparingly. There are some people in there who are no longer even here, banned for pretty obvious reasons. I keep them in there, lest I forget. I try not to, even in the Political Forums, but that's where most of them came from. Couple of Mac hating trolls. You have to be pretty bad to make my list though.

I don't use the buddy list, just don't think it would be fair to play favorites.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i don't think i know any one member well enough to put on a buddy or ignore list. i'm still somewhat new here. (be my friend :eek: )

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

16. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

That's why you're the best Mad Jew :D

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I use the Ignore List for posters who consistently have horrendous spelling and grammar. I just can't be bothered to try and decipher what they are trying to say most of the time. I also have one member ignored because I don't like their avatar.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm sorry, you must have misheard me. I did a large fart and shove everybody. :D

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use the Buddy list but it's not very helpful to tell when one of them is only. The little plus sign next to their name is barely noticeable when browsing. It works great in Forum Spy though.

20. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Lol, I thought I smelled something. I thought it was just my coworker, good to know Mad Jew...good to know. :D

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What are the benefits? For those like me that have limited patience, ignoring certain individuals makes this place more pleasurable. Choosing those individuals can be for a number of reasons...

And the Buddy list, for me, is not about my 'friends', it includes all those who's continuing contributions I find funny, interesting or just pleasurable to read. There are over 100 people on that list; yet most of them wouldn't even think they're my 'buddies'.

So it works like a charm in Forum Spy and yes, only being able to receive PMs from those on that list is probably the one thing that has made the biggest difference in the forums to me. I no longer receive malicious or hostile unwanted PMs from people who are either thin-skinned or in the mood for a fight.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

At least you receive PMs. *sniff* :eek:

:D :p

23. bartelby macrumors Core

I use the ignore list occasionally.
    I use it as a kind of personal time out feature.
    I also use the filter on forumspy.

Some threads bug the crap out of me so I'll ignore the whole area so I'm not tempted to read the offending thread.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I only ever put one poster on my ignore list (now banned) the thing is that it made reading their posts more tempting.