Do You Use the Digital Crown or Screen to Scroll?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Traverse, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Do you use the Digital Crown or Screen to scroll?

1. Digital Crown almost always

50 vote(s)
    61.7%
  2. Screen almost always

14 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. I just use either.

17 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

One of my favorite features about the Apple Watch is actually the Digital Crown. I thought it was classically Apple to use this as a primary interaction method and I found that I naturally used the DC for everything accept actually tapping icons.

However, I was reading several opinion pieces on the Apple Watch from sites varying from individual blogs to an arcticle on BusinessWeekly and one thing I notice is people repeatedly calling the Digital Crown "useless" or "just a button" and one writer said that Apple should lose it all together because the screen is how you interact with it.

I don't like using the screen because:
    (1) scrolling with a finger is actually pretty suttery and laggy while using the DC is silky smooth or some reason,
    (2) scrolling with my finger means that I block part of the screen as I scroll, and
    (3) I hate finger prints on my watch, it's the one thing I hate about smart watches. If I use my finger to scroll, my screen is going to get smudged really fast.

So I'm just curious if you agree that the DC is unnecessary or if you use the DC as your primary input method too.

2. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I almost always scroll via the crown. Maybe 95% of the time or more if I put a number on it.

3. mirz2000 macrumors regular

I almost always use the screen to scroll. I only use the crown as a button to get to the main screen.

4. MacCubed macrumors 68000

MacCubed

I always use the crown, the screen is just too small for my fingers to scroll on

5. kcellup macrumors regular

kcellup

6. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

7. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i use the crown so much because i forget i can use the screen lol

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

This is true. Even when I first opened the watch I also used the crown and actually forgot that I could scroll with the screen. :/.

I do wish we could make the "friend button "the home button. I don't really like pressing the digital crown.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

10. Simche macrumors member

Simche

Most of the time, I also use Digital Crown. It works really well with it :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its one of those things, that I don't ever seem to use the digital crown - I'm not sure why.

12. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

13. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

14. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

It's comments like this that make me wonder if anyone pays attention.

15. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

i do... a bit... but only use the crown for things that require it, like changing colors and complications.

another thing that i used like 3 times in months is that button, completely useless to me. wish the watch did not have it and the crown was centered.

16. Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

If so, then how do you access Apple Pay quickly? Fortunately, i have a few places around me that i frequent that accepts Pay. For me, that side button is basically Apple Pay button. I don't use it to get contacts/friends.

17. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

oh.

no apple pay in this jungle i live in so wouldn't know... thanks for the info.

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I was gonna say, when I'm in line at the cash register and I want to try Pay, I want to be able to access it as quickly as possible. Double-clicking the side button is much better than fishing around the screen for an app (or even Passbook).

19. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Make it a double press of the crown and get rid of the (very inconsistent) 'back to where I just was' behavior.

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Same here. Never read the instructions and i had been swiping on the screen for days before I accidentally twisted the crown. Still seldom use it and continue to scroll with finger on the screen

21. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

I'm actually not sure... I know that I use both, but I'm not sure what I use by default. Both are convenient. Now when my hands are occupied and I must use my nose, I definitely scroll with the touch-screen :D

22. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Always Digital Crown. Unless, as mentioned if my hand is occupied I use my nose on screen.

23. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I use the crown for scrolling so much that it bothers me that my 6s Plus doesn't have one.

I always use the crown to launch apps too. I center my app and do the zoom to open with the crown. I started doing that right after I got my watch and my fat finger opened the wrong app. If you use the crown you can see which app is being zoomed and abort opening if you need to.

24. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Crown. It's much more intuitive to scroll with that instead of the screen. I also hate fingerprints on my screen, so I very, very rarely use the screen to scroll.

25. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

This. Crown as much as is possible. I use my knuckle to scroll if I have to, to avoid prints.