Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use the Digital Crown or Screen to scroll?

• Digital Crown almost always

Votes: 50 61.7%
  • Screen almost always

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • I just use either.

Votes: 17 21.0%

• Total voters

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
One of my favorite features about the Apple Watch is actually the Digital Crown. I thought it was classically Apple to use this as a primary interaction method and I found that I naturally used the DC for everything accept actually tapping icons.

However, I was reading several opinion pieces on the Apple Watch from sites varying from individual blogs to an arcticle on BusinessWeekly and one thing I notice is people repeatedly calling the Digital Crown "useless" or "just a button" and one writer said that Apple should lose it all together because the screen is how you interact with it.

I don't like using the screen because:
(1) scrolling with a finger is actually pretty suttery and laggy while using the DC is silky smooth or some reason,
(2) scrolling with my finger means that I block part of the screen as I scroll, and
(3) I hate finger prints on my watch, it's the one thing I hate about smart watches. If I use my finger to scroll, my screen is going to get smudged really fast.

So I'm just curious if you agree that the DC is unnecessary or if you use the DC as your primary input method too.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I almost always scroll via the crown. Maybe 95% of the time or more if I put a number on it.

Reactions: Simche

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
I almost always use the screen to scroll. I only use the crown as a button to get to the main screen.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
i use the crown so much because i forget i can use the screen lol

This is true. Even when I first opened the watch I also used the crown and actually forgot that I could scroll with the screen. :/.

I do wish we could make the "friend button "the home button. I don't really like pressing the digital crown.

Reactions: xDKP and kcellup

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
i do... a bit... but only use the crown for things that require it, like changing colors and complications.

another thing that i used like 3 times in months is that button, completely useless to me. wish the watch did not have it and the crown was centered.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
another thing that i used like 3 times in months is that button, completely useless to me. wish the watch did not have it and the crown was centered.

If so, then how do you access Apple Pay quickly? Fortunately, i have a few places around me that i frequent that accepts Pay. For me, that side button is basically Apple Pay button. I don't use it to get contacts/friends.

Reactions: Arran

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I was gonna say, when I'm in line at the cash register and I want to try Pay, I want to be able to access it as quickly as possible. Double-clicking the side button is much better than fishing around the screen for an app (or even Passbook).

Reactions: Arran

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
If so, then how do you access Apple Pay quickly? Fortunately, i have a few places around me that i frequent that accepts Pay. For me, that side button is basically Apple Pay button. I don't use it to get contacts/friends.
Make it a double press of the crown and get rid of the (very inconsistent) 'back to where I just was' behavior.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I'm actually not sure... I know that I use both, but I'm not sure what I use by default. Both are convenient. Now when my hands are occupied and I must use my nose, I definitely scroll with the touch-screen :D

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Always Digital Crown. Unless, as mentioned if my hand is occupied I use my nose on screen.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I use the crown for scrolling so much that it bothers me that my 6s Plus doesn't have one.

I always use the crown to launch apps too. I center my app and do the zoom to open with the crown. I started doing that right after I got my watch and my fat finger opened the wrong app. If you use the crown you can see which app is being zoomed and abort opening if you need to.

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
Crown. It's much more intuitive to scroll with that instead of the screen. I also hate fingerprints on my screen, so I very, very rarely use the screen to scroll.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
Crown. It's much more intuitive to scroll with that instead of the screen. I also hate fingerprints on my screen, so I very, very rarely use the screen to scroll.

This. Crown as much as is possible. I use my knuckle to scroll if I have to, to avoid prints.

Reactions: Flow39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.