Do you use Time Machine and What Drive do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by scott9s, Jan 7, 2009.

1. scott9s macrumors member

I've searched the forums, I see a lot of posts about Time Machine and USB Drives from 2007 when Leopard first came out, but I'm wondering now that time machine is out and people have used it a while if people have changed opinions.

What do you use for Time Machine?

I'm looking for an external drive or NAS to use as my macbook pro backup.

If you read reviews at the apple store, people are not fond of the Time Capsule. So, I was thinking of just using an airport express with a USB Drive connected. Has anyone had success with that?

What USB Drive do people recommend? If you don't use Time Machine, what do you use?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I reccomend Seagate and Western Digital drives, but it usually comes down to personal preference and experience. Seagate offers 5-year warranty which I like and I have never had an issue with any of their drives. Lacie drives have been rated fairly high as well, however keep in mind Lacie is not a drive manufacturer.

As for backing up, Time Machine is nice, but I don't like the lack of control you have over it. I also do not require mulitple versions of my files archived (although I totally understand cases where people do) so for me I simply back-up my Mac using SuperDuper. Carbon Copy Cloner is another excellent app. They both allow you to create a bootable back-up of your system as well, whereas Time Machine does not.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I've been using a 1TB FireWire/USB Seagate external hard drive where I bought the hard drive and enclosure separate. It's worked exceedingly well for me since I got it early/mid last year. I would also recommend the Seagate hard drives because of the warranty and reliability, of all of the hard drives that I've used I've found the Seagate hard drives to be most reliable.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The Airport Express with a USB drive connected will not work with Time Machine. The first thing is that the USB port on the airport express is really only for printers. The second thing is that many people have tried using the airport extreme base station with an external USB HD without any luck. I've heard of some people that were actually able to get it to work buttgey are few and far between and they probably had to do done major hacks to get it done.

This is just the way that I understand it. I could be wrong.

On another note, I do have a time capsule and haven't had any problems with it. I back up a desktop and a laptop to it and it seems to work fine.

5. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Yes. I use it with a 500GB Western Digital external drive.

6. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

7. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

My success with Airport disks as time machine backup targets has been intermittent, and intermittent success doesn't cut it for backups.

I am using a LaCie FW800/FW400/USB RAID drive for backups. It's has 2 1TB drives that are configured as 1TB of RAID 1. It is normally left connected to my Macbook Pro, which serves as a desktop unless I take it with me when I travel. The drive has 3 partitions - one for the MBP and one for a Macbook on which bootable clones are maintained, and another hosting a time machine backup for the MBP, an iTunes library, and other files.

I prefer firewire to USB as the performance benefits are substantial.

8. south8212 macrumors 6502

I use this same drive and love it. However, I dont use the time machine backups.....i prefer to just copy and past all of my music, pics and docs. I also have all of my software listed with keys in an excel spreadsheet.

9. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I use Time Machine to only backup my iPhoto album and I use it with a WD MyBook 500GB (Firewire and USB 2.0 version) external HD. I bought the external HD a little over 3 years ago. My external HD is connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station.

11. tdevers macrumors regular

320gb WD Passport. Seems to work rather well!

12. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I have two Seagate External Drives. I use TM to backup my Mac and my 750GB drive to 1TB. It works, well despite the slow speeds. I can deal with the speed though because I have had one to many HD failure scares. I would go with either a Seagate or WD drive, and would recommend your own external drive over the TC because then you can easily swap it out.

I think my next drive will be WD My Book Studio 1TB, they've gotten good reviews and FW800 is tempting.

13. susanayari macrumors newbie

problems with time capsule

Time Capsule does not mount on my desktop and the Time Machine backup runs but does not find Time Capsule. Should I reset in some way?:eek:

14. hydrokayak macrumors member

I use TM to backup my iMac (sadly the MB isn't backed up). I use an OWC Mercury Elite-AL running two 500 GB drives in Raid 0. (I know, Raid 0 is bad...). It's quick with FW800. It was a pricey enclosure, but well worth it to have the aesthetics of a matching case, and the speed of FW800.

All around a good product in my book, and works flawlessly connected with FW400, FW800, USB connected to the iMac, or USB connected to the airport (no time capsule on the airport though).

15. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I use the TC with 2 Seagate Pro eSATA, USB Firewire options. Backups are done with one firewire Seagate to the tower. Wirless with the second seagate attached to the TC. Works fine and I will never lose 100 converted DVD's again:D

16. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

I prefer SuperDuper since you can boot off of your backups on another mac. My friend uses a portable 2.5" western digital drive. 250gb for $100 from best buy.

17. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What he said :)

Time Machine is a fantastic simple consumer backup system. The vast majority of people have no clue how to achieve a useful backup of all their photos and music, to have a system where they can just plug in a drive and agree to using it for Time Machine and be done with it is great.

Me, I prefer to have more control. I don't need multiple versions of files. All I want is a good solid backup. Nightly backups from one drive to another scheduled with SuperDuper (using SmartUpdate). Works a treat.

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I was using Time Machine with a 500GB Seagate HDD in a Firewire 400 enclosure but over the holidays I bought a new Seagate 1.5TB HDD and put it in an Icy Dock MB559UEB-1S Firewire 800 enclosure. I moved my Time Machine over to the new drive.

The Icy Dock is an awesome device. It's quiet and fast with the Oxford 924DSB chipset. The silver version I got even matches the aluminum iMac perfectly. It almost looks like something Jonathan Ive might have designed. ;)

19. scott9s thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go with a Firewire 800 small 2.5 inch WD 500 GB drive. I wanted a small drive, and this works perfectly.

Albeit, the drive is a little small. I'm waiting to get a bigger drive.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

21. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Hate not having a Back Up, and use a 500Gb Time Capsule.