Do you use time machine if you run Mac os 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sam10685, Feb 25, 2009.

?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2010.
  1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

Want to get a new wireless router but am wondering if I should invest in a Time capsule or not. (Finally am getting a new macbook pro.)

4. Blair230 macrumors regular

I bought a 750GB Firewire Mybook external hard drive. It works great with Time Machine!

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I backup manually for several reasons. Nearly all of my data is stored on a central Windows box. That way all computers can access pictures, iTunes etc... without the need to synchronize network computers. Also I can not stand automated routines as they can cause sudden unexpected slow downs, I do not allow software to automatically check for updates even that is all done manually.

If I were to use a Mac backup program though I would get SuperDuper! as it creates a bootable mirror image of your hard drive. That way if your internal tanks you can just swap drives and keep chugging along until you buy a replacement backup drive.

However since you are getting a Macbook Pro I assume you want to backup wirelessly and automatically. Then the Time Capsule paired with Time Machine is likely a useful option.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

you don't need a time capsule to run Time Machine

7. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

No, Don't need it. I never delete a file I need and as a former long time windows user I learned to back up everything important via dvds.

I read a lot of problems people have had with Time Machine not working the way it should so I don't trust it either

8. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I don't have a Time Capsule, so I run Time Machine using a LaCie Firewire external drive. No problems and I've been able to do restores without too much trouble. My only wish is that I had gotten a bigger HD (mine's only 250gb).

9. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

I want time machine to work wirelessly though. Otherwise what's the point in getting a laptop if you have a hard drive that you constantly have to plug and unplug into the computer?

10. mcruzader macrumors regular

I time machine to a portable 500GB drive, but I also use backblaze to have all of my stuff offsite and some peace of mind. I can't even imagine losing all of my data, I would go crazy! I just couldn't take that chance.

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I use time machine via external 1TB WD My Book Studio. It's saved me many times in the past;

1 event of upgrading the hard drive
    1 event of hard drive failure
    2 events of accidental file deletion

If i were still on Tiger, I'd be upgrading just for Time Machine. It is incredibly powerful, yet very intuitive and easy to use. I love it.

12. sam10685 thread starter macrumors 68000

sam10685

True... Except I've been using computers for ~15 years and have never had an issue, so that's why I ask. Is it really worth it?

13. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I use it with a 500 GB My Book external hard drive but I wish my PowerBook supported 2 hard drives so I could back up to an internal hard drive