Do You Use Time Machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by squeeks, May 6, 2008.

?

Do You Use Time Machine

1. Yes

71.0%
  2. No

29.0%
  1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Yes or No

...i dont bother because i havent spent the time to figure out how to make it work right, first time i tried it it filled up my entire 500gb mybook on the second backup, so im doing something wrong

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

I ran it for a while, but turned it off. I have better things to do with my external drive than have my computer backing up to it. I already have another copy of most of my files stored on another drive, anyway. Seems silly to have a third.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i would, but i want to get a new external just for back-up. My external i use now has my FCP stuff on it.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I see way too many Leopard users make posts about deleting files or folders.

I have backups back to November. :D

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I use it everyday... or at least it backs up everyday. I've never had to use it yet.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Yes, but not on a regular basis. I don't always remember to plug in my external.

7. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i have tried it a few times, it slows down my system a lot while doing it's backup. i just use carbon copy cloner and it works great.

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Same here, I had backups back to 2005 until I had to clean out the drive for Time Machine. When my MBP hard drive crashed I was okay with all the files, but I got a 1TB Time Capsule for the entire house. Now two iMacs and MBP are backed up to it with no problems at all.

We have about 530GB left, but I may take the G5 iMac off and just use an external for it since it's the only one not with an "N" card and takes forever to back up.

9. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

I have, but have recently run into a problem. I just got an AEBS and connected a bigger external to it than my current Time Machine drive. I want to move all my existing backups to that drive and point TM to it to continue the current backups without losing everything done in the past months. Has anyone had any luck with this?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I do it to a network hard drive (500GB) plugged into the airport extreme router. Back ups every 4 hours. I have yet to fill up the drive with backing up both the air and the iMac.

11. mactastic1971 macrumors regular

mactastic1971

I use a 1Tb Time Capsule and I'm not seeing any major issues. If I am running some processor intensive apps I will turn time machine off for a few hours till Im done. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

My only complaint would be I would like to control the frequency of the the backups.

12. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

13. Ludde macrumors regular

14. James17 macrumors 6502

Haven't used it but I just ordered a Time Capsule so will start using it from when I receive it.

15. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Interesting thread, this has been on my mind for a while. Time machine seems to slow both my machines down so I've started to lean off it. I want to be backing up everyday but until there is a solution I'm unsure. Also, I'm considereing buying a mini to run as a backup server incase my externals drop out (other than my 3 VPS located in 3 different places in the Country [ I have sensitive information]).
    Any thoughts?

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Same here. I hope that this is an option added in the 10.5.3 update. The G5 iMac may need to be backed up once every day or so.

17. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I use Time Machine on a 150GB partition on my external. I only plug it in once or twice a day because I need at least one USB port free (the other one is used by my mouse). I'll probably leave it plugged in once I get to buy a USB hub.

18. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

I had the same complaint until I found this nifty app: http://timesoftware.free.fr/timemachineeditor/

It works beautifully and stops from Time Machine having to load up every hour. I set mine to once a day and it works well - I have yet to experience any problems with it.

Hope this helps!

19. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

I use it but not constantly.

My External hard drive is half the capacity of my internal (got it because it was going cheap due to this deal of some sort) It's done it's fair share of back-ups and it does it well. Kudos to Apple with the actual back-up system. They've done that part right, definitely.

However, I don't use it constantly because:
    1. My External HD's fan is louder than my iMac, so I feel my room is being filled with noise.
    2. I don't need it on all the time; wastes electricity.
    3. The Time Machine application buggers my MX Revolution -like Sleep does- and that's rather annoying.

20. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

This should work as well:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200710291721156

21. Tyndale13 macrumors newbie

Absolutely

Both for my Imac and my MacBook. This weekend I upped my harddrive in the Macbook from 120Gig (I think..maybe it was 100) to 320Gig and used Time Machine to restore. It was seamless and Time Machine restored everything perfectly. IMHO, an insanely easy and useful program.

22. PHX-Locksmith macrumors newbie

PHX-Locksmith