Do you use windows on your mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andre.rocha, Jul 21, 2010.

1. andre.rocha macrumors newbie

2. Spulture macrumors member

I don't use Windows on my Mac. Most of the applications I use are built right into Mac OS X, and if I need or want third-party software, there's a lot of third-party developers making "Mac Versions" of their products that were previously Windows-only.

3. AceWilfong macrumors regular

AceWilfong

4. celticpride678

I use Windows only when I have to test my website. Other than that, it just sits there.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I use Windows Xp for tech support related issues and compatibility testing. But regular applications I use MS Paint the most. I still can't find a good Mac equivalent.

6. celticpride678

PaintBrush?

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's the closest I've found so far.

8. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I use windows 2008 Server over Remote Desktop once in a while for school work that uses windows-only software.... I will never install windows on my Mac.

9. analogkid macrumors regular

10. aki macrumors 6502a

11. regieferg macrumors newbie

I am going to get mac SOON.
    and i am going to have windows on it for gamming.
    otherwise ill use a virtual machine for windows app and stuff.

12. celticpride678

Steam is available for Mac OS X too, you know?

13. vistadude macrumors 65816

I use windows 95% of the time, and mac only to give powerpoint presentations and occasionally for a few programs. I can't stand Mac OS X, the mouse movement and needed accuracy to click on icons is too strange, and mac os doesn't multi task well for me. Not having outlook for mac is a big problem for me.

14. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have Windows 7 on my MBP and use it about twice a month. I purchased it to program a universal remote that cost well over $500 and required Windows for the programming software. I also use it now to run the Blackberry Theme Studio (yes, I unfortunately still use a Blackberry...can't afford to get out of my Verizon contract yet). I'm not a big PC gamer, but its always nice to have the option to run Windows for games too. On occasion I use it to troubleshoot for friends and family who are less tech savvy.

Honestly, I would say if you don't absolutely have to have it in order to run a crucial application (like that remote software, for me at least) that will not run in WINE (Google Winebottler for more info. Most basic applications will run in WINE, but those that require driver installation generally have difficulties), don't buy Windows, it's really not worth the hassle. I have spent a good 5 hours getting my Windows partition set up and it's still not exactly how I would like it. It's not like Windows is any better than OS X or we wouldn't be at this forum ;).

15. ManofMac-au macrumors newbie

Hell yeah,
    Working in web & now with an intel MP I run VM ware for several Windoze installs of various Service packs and OS flavours to test CSS etc. Also have a bootcamp (W7 64) that I can access through VM and also boot into for gaming (GTX285 - hey it works).

Best of both worlds.