Do you use Winterboard with your 3GS?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by kidwithdimples, Oct 12, 2010.

1. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

I used it with my 3G and hated it because it was so goddamn slow.

I am scared to use it with my 3GS. What are your preference on using winterboard with a 3GS? Is it slow like 3G?

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

I use it with no issues. I had some battery drain with Summerboard mode on, but I reconfigured the theme to be winterboard-friendly, and switched it off, and the battery is now fine.

No problems with speed, etc.

3. kidwithdimples thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's one other thing that I am worried about... battery life decreasing.

How do you make it winterboard-friendly? Care to explain, please?

4. kre62 macrumors 68000

It has to do with the icons for the apps. In summerboard mode you just put all the icons in a folder called "Icons", with each one named the app name. This takes a bunch of processing power.

With Winterboard, you have to do a little work. But the end result is fast speeds, and no battery issues.

Basically Winterboard uses bundles to replace the icons. These are folders in the Bundles folder of the theme you are using. You have to locate the bundle name of each app, create a folder with that exact name, and place the icon you want to replace in each folder, named exactly what the app calls it in its folder (usually icon.png. Also Icon.png, and then some crazy ones like iphone_icon_5x57.png. Case matters.). Luckily a file makes this process easier. It's called IconState.plist, and is located in var/mobile/library/springboard/. Open it, and it will give you all the bundle names for your installed apps. This makes folder creation much easier.

A lot of work? Yeah. It is. For me it was worth it, because I got back about an hour of usage time.

If you dont care about icons, and just want to theme lockscreens, chat bubbles, UI elements..anything but icons...you can turn off summerboard mode with no worries.

Hope this helps

Example of some of the folders I created:

[​IMG]