Do you use xslimmer on apple apps?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dany M, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dany M macrumors 6502

ITs a app where it trims down the size of teh application by removing unnecessary stuff.

Do you use it on iTunes, quicktime and stuff???

2. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I'm generally not a fan of hacking files, but I can see the utility in slimming down the fat binaries.

I've read decent reviews of Xslimmer. Basically, it's just a GUI for the terminal commend lipo. You can read up on lipo if you're interested.

3. TheStu macrumors 65816

I use XSlimmer all the time, on all my apps. I have found actually that the Apple made ones usually get reduced the most in terms of sheer percentage.

4. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I use Xslimmer on them all the time. It works wonders. It slims most of them in half, and makes them run faster. Most applications that have problems will be blacklisted, and WON'T slim. :)

5. Dany M thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright thanks, i have been holding out slimming apple apps but i held on that for awhile... i jsut saved 500mb of 1.5 gigs. nice!:)

6. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I used an app called Trimmit which is similar, but got bored of finding apps it had trimmed and then failed to work afterwards and having to revert to the backup.

Since then I found that just by removing the Language files from the Info of each app (right click., get info) works wonders. On a new £699 Macbook i shaved 1.4Gb off all my apps

Ohh, mac noobie here, only had my macbook 3 weeks, and my iphone since UK launch day back in November, liked the phone so much, now have a macbook!

7. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I'd strongly advise AGAINST using XSlimmer or the like on Apple applications - at least not those that ship with OS X. There's the potential for a lot of grief down the road as it _could_ prevent a future software update from installing correctly.

Use of XSlimmer (or better yet, Trimmit, which is freeware) on Third-party applications is much less risky, though - worst thing that could happen would be that you'd need to re-install the app, and you could well save some space AND improve application loading times.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

I have never had a single issue with using XSlimmer over the past year, I let its own blacklist handle which ones to ignore, and from that I get great results.