iPhone X Do you use your iPhone as a wifi hotspot and what for?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I have iPhone X and don’t use it as a wifi hotspot.

Was wondering if this is a feature I should look into and for what I could use it for.

2. bigup macrumors member

Only when I’m out at work and i need WiFi on my laptop or if I’m on holiday and my kids need WiFi for their iPads etc

3. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

I use it mainly when I'm outside the US and running a local sim card to feed our iPads and my Surface Pro. Anything to avoid ATT's $10 daily charged for extended travel.

4. jasoncordelle macrumors regular

jasoncordelle

I use mine occasionally to hotspot my kindle to download a book.

5. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Great for connecting MBP and iPad when I am traveling and don't have access to a wifi network, good for accessing iCloud (and drop box) files on macbook and iPad

6. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

How are the speeds? And how much data can I use?

AT&T

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I used to long ago but hot spot on a phone will drain your battery very quickly.

Now my iPads are Wifi and Cellular so no need for phone hot spot anymore.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

My wife and I use it occasionally when we are out at the coffee shop or other places and need to connect our laptop
    Speeds are usually better than the public WiFi and it is more secure

Data depends on the plan you have with AT&T

9. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Sometimes and for getting another device connected to the internet, such as a laptop. I mean this is a stupid question, what else would the hotspot be used for?

10. mikzn macrumors 65816

mikzn

Speed is the same as any good WIFI connection "as long as your phone has good cell connection strength" - data depends on your carrier data plan - I have unlimited Data - so not something I worry about.

11. TGM85 macrumors member

TGM85

I commute on a train without wifi. I use the mobile hotspot on my iPhone to get work done on my MBP.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That will largely depend on your plan details as well as where you might use it.

13. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

I use the Hotspot on my XS Max for a few different things.

I'm at work most of the day so I bring my Nintendo Switch and iPad with me for my breaks/lunch. I connect my Switch to it to play a game or download an update if needed. My iPad is cellular on AT&T but it's on the $10 per month for 1Gb of data plan so I connect it to my phone's hotspot (on AT&T unlimited plan) and I use it to watch Netflix at work. Lol.

14. dvdchance macrumors regular

I use mine for an Echo Dot I have in my car. If I'm in my car it's on, which is why I sure wish it was easier to turn on lol.

15. VineRider macrumors regular

I rarely use the hotspot, but when I do, its when I need to do some secure transaction on my iPad or my Microsoft Surface when out and about. Otherwise, when I use them on public wifii I secure the connection via VPN (Norton Secure VPN)

16. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

What games are good on the ninetendo? Thinking about trying one out.

17. LK LAW macrumors member

LK LAW

Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Mario Odyssey, Zelda BoTW,... Nintendo games are a must have, only non Nintendo game I have for my switch is LA Noirse is because I never played it before, the controls are well adapted for the switch.

I use my hotspot so I can work on my computer when commuting by train to uni.

18. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I use it on car trips so the kids can use the ipads that only have wifi.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2019 ---
    Just curious, does the iphone generate a new password every time you turn on hot spot?

19. simplynando macrumors 6502

simplynando

There's so many I have and play. Currently my favorites are Smash Bros, Pokemon Let's GO, Zelda BOTW (300 hours on this game alone), Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros U, and Lego Harry Potter. There's others I like, too. Doom actually plays really nicely on the Switch (graphics aren't as great as PS4 obviously), Mario Oddysey is fun for a while, Lego Incredibles was fun, Fortnite is okay (I don't get the hype with that game).
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2019 ---
    No, you can keep the randomly generated password that is set or change it to your own predefined password. It stays the same until you go in and change it.

20. ImAnAgent Suspended

ImAnAgent

I only use it if there's a power failure at my house. Seems to happen once or twice a year. No use for it otherwise.

21. wba1990 macrumors regular

wba1990

I do as I work nights and take either my iPad Pro, Smaller Samsung Tab and Nintendo Switch with mine, will usually hotspot to my phone to watch things on a bigger screen or to play games online on my switch, and sometimes during my breaks

22. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I used to use my iPhone hotspot to connect my 10.5" iPad Pro when I was traveling. Now that I have an cellular 11" iPad Pro, I don't really use the wifi hotspot anymore.

23. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I hotspot my hotspot so my hotspot has hotspot.

24. now i see it, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019

now i see it macrumors 68040

With Cellular Hotspot turned on with "USB Only" selected on the iPhone, and a Mac set up for Internet Sharing, an iPhone can connect to the Mac via USB and WiFi while the Mac is tethered to the iPhone.
    The iPhone (and all the iPhone apps) see the iPhone as being connected to the internet via wifi.

25. Narpho macrumors newbie

I use my hotspot often with my DMR hotspot for ham radio. I use it in the car, hotel, etc. Works great and I can talk all over the world.