Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you tether?

• Yes, and I pay extra for the tethering plan

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Yes, but I jailbreak to do so or my carrier doesn't charge any extra

Votes: 43 53.1%
  • No, I don't tether

Votes: 23 28.4%

• Total voters

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Now that the iPhone allows for tethering in the US, I'm curious how many of you actually use & pay for the feature.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
No need to tether for me. Everywhere I would use a computer has wifi and whenever i dont have wifi, my phone is suitable.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
Where is the option, "I jailbreak and tether so I don't lose my unlimited data", because paying isn't bad as long as I keep unlimited data.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Where is the option, "I jailbreak and tether so I don't lose my unlimited data", because paying isn't bad as long as I keep unlimited data.

You can post your reason in the thread. There could be hundreds of reasons why someone would choose one of the options and they can explain in a post. The poll is just getting an idea of who does what so your choice would be #2.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
You can post your reason in the thread. There could be hundreds of reasons why someone would choose one of the options and they can explain in a post. The poll is just getting an idea of who does what so your choice would be #2.

Sorry, I misread. I though you said you tether so you don't have to pay your carrier extra.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I use it. In fact, it came in very handy last week. I was in a meeting and was using a "guest" wifi with my macbook Air. I needed to log into a particular password protected sharepoint location (for work) and couldn't with the guest wifi. So, I fired up tethering and logged in via my iphone 3G connection (on my Air) and then once IN sharepoint I switched back to the guest wifi system and continued on. Worked perfectly to get around whatever Microsoft sharepoint didn't like about the guest network I was on.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
+1 I don't mind paying extra for tethering, but I also want to keep my unlimited.
Ironically, I haven't used tetherme since I've bought it. I'll eventually use it on vacation, but my everyday life just doesn't need it.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
I bought the tethering plan. I used to have the unlimited plan, but was only consuming about 300 MB per month in data usage. So unlimited was really doing nothing for me. At the same time that I had unlimited data, I was using clearwire internet while at work to access the internet. Clearwire is the DEVIL! OMG I can sincerely say that I HATE clearwire. Try downloading ANYTHING on using their service (not they're 4G service but they're regular "high speed" service) like youtube, netflix, groovshark, even downloading school power point presentations- I ROUTINELY got 0.3kbps!!! WTF!?! So I switched to a tethering plan, saved myself $50- by not having to pay for clearwire and by better tailoring me and my wife's billl plan, and am so much happier!! BTW- I thought about switching from AT&T to Sprint or Verizon- I couldn't believe how fewer options you have! Sprint and Verizon aren't as flexible- like allowing to choose different options without bundling. AT&T has allowed me to tailor my minutes, data plan, and txting plan irregardless of each. Gotta say- happy I'm with AT&T. Also- in my area, data speeds on my iPhone are ROUTINELY double the speeds of Sprint and Verizon. Couldn't be happier...:D:D:D:D:D:D

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I tether with MyWi to use my iPad occasionally. I hardly use any data that way, but don't wanna give up my unlimited plan since I go over 2 GB on my phone sometimes without tethering.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
No. No need really for me as I am happy doing what I do even though it may be more expensive. I use FiOS at home with my MBP and use my office computer at work. Just use the 3G at other times

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not me, I have no need nor do I have a desire to increase my AT&T phone bill either.

ReidStylez

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2010
I tether with MyWi to use my iPad occasionally. I hardly use any data that way, but don't wanna give up my unlimited plan since I go over 2 GB on my phone sometimes without tethering.

AT&T's Tethering plan combines your data package and it makes it 4GB a month instead of 2GB or Unlimited.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I'm tethering a lot more recently sine I'm on active duty military pre deployment training. It used to be just for that few hours a month that I needed it and didn't have wifi. I'm thinking that when I'm out I might switch to AT&T's tethering plan because when I'm at home I hardly ever went over 1GB a month.

Last edited:

drummr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
I tether when needed, like a few days ago when my internet was down for a few hours. I'm on unlimited and have no desire to loose that as I've used 3gb 5 days into this months cycle, mainly from netflix.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
AT&T's Tethering plan combines your data package and it makes it 4GB a month instead of 2GB or Unlimited.

I can easily go over 4 GB as well. I like to stream Netflix to my phone and watch it on my TV with the proper adapter. I don't have any other Netflix devices besides my WiFi iPad. I don't go over 4 GB often, but I don't want to be tracking my data constantly. I hit 15 GB one month watching Netflix. Usually I am under 2 GB though

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
I can easily go over 4 GB as well. I like to stream Netflix to my phone and watch it on my TV with the proper adapter. I don't have any other Netflix devices besides my WiFi iPad. I don't go over 4 GB often, but I don't want to be tracking my data constantly. I hit 15 GB one month watching Netflix. Usually I am under 2 GB though

Why don't you just use Wifi when at home?

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Why don't you just use Wifi when at home?

Why can't I use the data that I pay a $250 per month bill to AT&T for? It's not like I'm scamming them. I am using the service they are selling and I have been subscribed to since 2005 (though unlimited data only since 2007).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.