do you use your MBP closed ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macchiato2009, Jan 5, 2010.

1. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

just bought a screen and i was wondering if the MBP would overheat if i use it closed

apple says it can be used closed but i would prefer some user testimonials

thx

2. nonocei macrumors member

I use it closed in desktop mode all the time, no problems here.

3. robj macrumors regular

I see many setups in the setup thread and people are using their MB and MPB with the lid closed.

I think that the heat that comes from the keyboard can harm the screen but if apple says that it's ok, and many people are using it in this way, it should be totally OK.

There many of them that have a cool stand that holds the laptop in vertical position.

But still I have a doubt, how can you turn on the laptop while being closed?

4. macchiato2009 thread starter macrumors 65816

no overheat or have you noticed that fans were running faster than normal ?

thx

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been using my MBP closed now for a little while and it does run a tad warmer but I just increase the speed of the fans a bit to compensate.

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I use Radtech to cover my keyboards and in the clamshell mode at times. No issues with the heat even with Radtech.

7. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

After I close the lid to enter clamshell mode and turn on the external display I just open the lid of the laptop to help it keep cool. I have noticed when the lid is closed the screen gets pretty warm. I think I will keep doing that just to avoid any heat related issues with my laptop.

8. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I have been running my laptop closed for a year now with no issues whatsoever. One trick I learned is to put the laptop up on something that keeps the bottom off the desk an inch or so. That keeps it much cooler without opening it up or playing with the fans.

9. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I use mine closed about 50% of the time. It gets rather hot, but I think that would be solved with some type of stand. Other than that its perfect.

10. chill. macrumors 6502

keep it open. it reduces heat and you also get a better wireless signal because the antenna is oriented correctly

11. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Yeah just keep it open if it's just sitting there. You won't cause harm in leaving it closed but when it's open more heat escapes through the keyboard and the laptop runs cooler without stressing on your fans as much.

12. robj macrumors regular

I usually also leave the laptop open in order to prevent excesive heat.

But it's really awful have to close/wake/open in order to power down the MB display.

Why apple doesn't include a function to shutdown the display???

13. Rlkv011 macrumors regular

I use insomniaX when I hook my MBP up to my tv. It gets hot but it never overheated.

14. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

They do. RTFM.

15. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I use the clamshell feature on my MacBook Air while running SETI@home overnight and never had a problem, don't think you will

16. robj macrumors regular

I swear you I really did. And the only I found is to power on the MB and close it quickly waiting the log in screen, or with OS X booted close the lid and wake the laptop using USB external device.

What is the FM telling about shutting down the display?

17. Eruanno macrumors newbie

You can turn off ALL displays with ctrl+shift+eject, but you cannot turn off any one screen with a command. Unfortunately... I would have loved if you could.

18. emaja macrumors 68000

I have used several of my Mac portables closed for years now. I want a laptop for the 2-3 times a year I travel, but that was not enough to justify buying one, so I have the best of both worlds. Hooked up a 20" Dell display and use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Never a problem here.

19. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I use my 13" MBP in clamshell mode all the time with not heating issues. I even have a keyboard protector! No worries there, mate.

Cheers,

Habitus :apple:

20. SantorinS4 macrumors newbie

There is a cooling solution

The stand that robj is referring to is the Twelve South BookArc, and it works with pretty much any Apple laptop. I bought one a few months ago and love it. Never had any heating issues. You can buy them at Best buy. Here is the link to their site:
    http://www.twelvesouth.com/

21. robj macrumors regular

That's what I stated, but as you say, this isn't very useful as you want ONLY to turn off the laptop display. But maybe milton.sheaf knows something we don't ;)

That's it, browsing their web site I found the stand:

http://www.twelvesouth.com/products/bookarc/

22. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I have been using my Santa Rosa MBP for over two years now almost entirely in clamshell mode. I keep it on a stand connected to a 24" lcd and bt keyboard & magic mouse. Never runs hotter than when used open.

23. yegon macrumors 68020

Clamshell is fine, use all the time when in conjuction with my ACD.

BUT I leave it open when I'm playing games in Boot Camp. In the past, even using smcfancontrol to set fans at max prior to launching Boot Camp, I've had it shutdown a couple of times in clamshell mode during more intensive 3D games. MEGA hot, quite worrying at the time. This never happens with screen open.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

the one thing that I noticed that hasn't been referenced is the issue of dust.

I've owned my late 08 MBP since November of 08 and the majority of that time its been open on my desk. When I look down at the speaker grill/vent holes it appears to have collected enough dust that its noticeable now. I'll probably look at purchasing a small keyboard vacuum cleaner to try to suck that dust out.

Just one thing to keep in mind when leaving the lid open.

25. chill. macrumors 6502

true, but dust is a sign of air actually moving. would you rather have your mbp closed with the air vents blocked and building up heat in that thin enclosure?