Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muldul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
West Sussex, England, UK
I was having a clear up and i found the first iPod i ever owned, the first gen shuffle. I pluged it in to my macbook, loaded some songs, and i can't stop listening to it. It brings back all the happy memories i had with the iPod. My touch has been left to collect dust for now. How many of you still use your old iPods from time to time? And what iPod is it?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have an iPod 3rd Gen that I use when traveling long distances because I can listen to my radio shows on it (through podcasts) and I have a Griffin remote I use on it. I use my iPhone for short distances because it has the ability to save my position in the file, whereas the iPod doesn't.

TEG

dborja

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Northern California
I have a Silver 4GB iPod Mini that's now integrated into my car's audio system. It's doing a great job, having replaced my 6-CD changer. And now it's going to get even better as I'll load it with Genius-generated playlists! Amazing, how many songs in my library that I've forgotten about; now, Genius is resurrecting them... :)

OldLadywithiPod

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2008
Wonderful thread - yes, I use my 2nd generation 2 gig Nano all the time. It was a present from my sister-in-law.

It's seen a lot of podcasts come and go and since it was my first iPod it nearly went flying across the room more than once when I was learning how to deal with iTunes.

It will happily be by my side and in my ears until the time comes when I have to figure out what to do with a worn out battery. :(

Rivo

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
I still have my shuffle that is great for when I'm working in the yard and I have an 80 gig iPod video that has a problem corupting data or freezing when sync.
I plan to fix or replace the HD and put it in the car. I've already ripped the audio off of some of my favorite movies. Anyone who has ever driven for so long they are afraid of falling asleep needs to listen to a good comedy like Spaceballs. So great

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Now that I use my iPhone for almost everything, I struggle to use all of my iPods, but I always keep them updated.

I use my 30GB iPod 5G mainly used for podcasts and movies (until I can replace it with a 120GB classic).
I use my 8GB nano 2G for listening to music whenever I go somewhere I don't want to take my iPhone.
I use my 1GB shuffle 2G as a backup if I desperately need to conserve my iPhone's battery for other things, or if it has already run out.

Other than those three, my 2G nano, 2G mini and 1G shuffle tend to go unused.

LouisBlack

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
Balham, London
My 1st Gen iPod Nano has a rather disconcerting angle in it where it was trodden on. It still works, although it won't lock. I used it right up until I got my iPhone. I'll keep it around as you never know when it'll come in handy.

It's survived longer than my 4th Gen iPod that died at about 18 months of age.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
I'm on holiday at the moment with my old 30gb 5g - got a load of tv saved on there and using my iPhone for music / checking macrumors (er I mean checking the Internet!)... Both working lovely although a 32gb iPhone would kill a couple of birds with one lump of silicon!
Still got a 6gb mini at home gathering dust tho if anyone has any ideas how to bring that out of retirement?

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
1st gen nano with rockbox for flac support , use it for the car everyday :apple:
i found it a few years ago (i was anti apple until then for no reason other than i found the fanboys to be extremely annoying) then i thought wow this is great.. apple isnt so bad! so i bought a mac, hah!

marbles

macrumors 68000
Apr 30, 2008
EU mostly
Still got and I use it weekly ,1st gen Nano (4Gb) , why would I buy another though ? , this one works perfectly .

..wish I could use it as a dictaphone like you can with newer models....

edit> ah ha , that's why I would buy another ...a dictaphone ...... ,surely not though , a whole new iPod just so I can record with it

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
still using my 3rd gen (20GB) iPod. sometimes i'll plug it into my electric piano to play along with songs, but i mostly use it when traveling (car, airplane). i use my nano at the gym.

MichelleAK

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2006
Anchorage, AK
I use my 2nd Generation (10GB) in my car. The wheel is a lot easier to manipulate without looking than my 5.5 Gen Video, and I'm not as paranoid about it getting broken or stolen.

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
all last year I had my 2nd gen 15gb iPod (the one with the 4 touch buttons above the wheel) in my car hooked up to the sound system. Now I do not have much use for it because I have an iPhone. The iPhone also takes the place of my shuffle because a phone and a shuffle is still more to carry then just my iPhone.

When I go on long trips I bring them on the plane incase the battery runs out on my iPhone.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I have 3 previous iPods, a 30GB iPod photo (4G?) and a 60GB 5G video, both which are now broken. My 30GB i sold to my brother when i bought my video, which lasted about 3 years till the hard drive died. my 60GB lasted about 18 months till about 6 months ago when it had a nasty accident with an open bottle of water in my backpack on the way to uni.
I also bought a refurbished 1st gen 2GB nano the day nike+ was announced, which I've been using since for jogging, and also since my 60GB died till about 4 days ago when my refurbished 160GB was delivered. Its now with my sister and still working fine.

askthedust

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2003
enlightenment
2nd gen 20 gb ipod still alive and kicking with (gasp) firewire connection and b&W screen.

1st gen ipod shuffle SOLD
5th gen ipod (video) SOLD
1st gen nano still working after being washed in laundry.

using 1st gen iphone until they release a 32 GB version or higher.

Aznhiga13

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
I have a 3rd gen 20gb ipod and currently am using it as an external hard drive when i need to transfer things like movies and tv shows. Its kinda dying on me tho. The dreaded clicking hard drive.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
At the moment.....

G5 30GB Kicking
G3 4GB Nano Running
3G 16GB iPhone Playing
4G 8GB Nano Coming Soon

All have there own utilities like the Video carries all my podcasts and bittie movies, iPhone has the top rated music and movies while the nano has upbeat music for. The 3G nano will go once the 4G steps in!

01jamcon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2006
London
I actually went out to buy an old 1G 512mb iPod shuffle today to use as a backup music player to my iPhone. As well as these, I have a 40gb iPod Photo as a backup that holds all my music to restore from, otherwise, not used much out and about. And until I got the iPhone, I was borrowing an iPod touch, but that's obviously not getting much use right now.

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
Well I have had:
1g shuffle 1gb
1g black nano 2gb went through the wash
1g black nano 4gb waiting for a replacement screen
5g black video 30gb (returned for xbox 360)
5.5g black video 30gb (sold on eBay for the LG Dare)
3g silver nano 4gb
1g touch 8gb

Mostly use my touch and 3g nano but use the others for outside activities or when both batteries are dead.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
1G Shuffle: Still used almost daily when in the gym. I like it cos it stay in the waistband on my shorts and is very robust.

30GB Video: Used when DJing (Radio/Live). Doesn't hold much of a charge now but it can fit all the songs I need.

8GB Nano 3G - Used as a flash drive because I sat on it and the screen is bust.

4GB Nano 3G - Day to day use. Wish I'd replaced it with another 8GB though :(

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I have a white 30GB iPod Photo that I still use. It still holds a charge for many many hours and works perfectly.

I like the fact that it has the option to not display album artwork and will use the whole screen to display a title.

I-Bot

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2008
My City
I have a silver 1GB Second Gen shuffle that I use all the time while i'm biking seeing as how i Don't wanna lug around a harddrive.......If I do get a 4g Nano by the end of October or Early November then i'm sure i'll find time in my daily routine to still use my 30 GB Video which is currently the only other Ipod I have besides my Shuffle.

zea mays

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
My Grandpa uses my second gen 10gb, DH uses the 5.5 gen video and I use my touch. I'm sure that DD will inherit the 5.5 gen at some point, DH will get the touch and I'll get whatever is new and exciting :D

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
my old ipods are collecting dust somewhere.

had the 1g 1gb shuffle (first ipod) then left it here to go abroad, got it there and it died within a week or two. doesn't charge, doesn't do anything when plugged in to comp.

had a refurb 4g ipod (no video) and it died after 3 months and i couldn't do anything about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.