Do you use your rMBP discrete graphics all the time?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Traverse, Aug 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I have the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro with the 750M dGPU.

The thing is. Prior to this I had a 2011 Macbook Pro that I used with a 23" 1080p monitor and eventually a Thunderbolt display. I used it like this for about 3 months before the dGPU failed.

Since getting this computer I have used it with just the built in display. It is beautiful and vivd, but I miss my old clamshell (sometimes dual screen) setup. The thing is, I am very nervous about running the dGPU all the time. I realize that the 2011 models had a design flaw, but I'm still cautious. I wish this was the Iris Pro only machine for peace of mind, but aw well.

So: Do you use your Retina MB dGPU all the time? Do you think it would hurt? I know it shouldn't hurt, but Apple has a bad history.

2. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I selected the MacBook Pro forum I don't know why it's in the Mavericks section. Moderators please feel free to move it. I apologize.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

My 2011 15" Radeongated 3 years after purchase, and I never used clamshell mode all the time either. I got it back up and running with a reball.

I now use a late-2013 15" rMBP (2.6/16/1TB/750M) and it runs far cooler in clamshell mode than the 2011 model. The 2011 model used to overheat all the time, but my late-2013 rMBP doesn't.

So I'm comfortable with using the dGPU all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.