Do you use your rMBP discrete graphics all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Traverse, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Note: this was first posted in the Mavericks forum by mistake. Moderators feel free to merge or delete the other post.

I have the 2013 Retina MacBook Pro with the 750M dGPU.

The thing is. Prior to this I had a 2011 Macbook Pro that I used with a 23" 1080p monitor and eventually a Thunderbolt display. I used it like this for about 3 months before the dGPU failed.

Since getting this computer I have used it with just the built in display. It is beautiful and vivd, but I miss my old clamshell (sometimes dual screen) setup. The thing is, I am very nervous about running the dGPU all the time. I realize that the 2011 models had a design flaw, but I'm still cautious. I wish this was the Iris Pro only machine for peace of mind, but aw well.

So: Do you use your Retina MB dGPU all the time? Do you think it would hurt? I know it shouldn't hurt, but Apple has a bad history.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My rMBP is frequently connected to my external monitor so its on the dGPU much of the time.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No, I use my integrated graphics all the time when I'm out and about. I prefer better battery life.

Actually if my computer wasn't a warranty replacement (I probably would still have my old one), I would have gotten the one without the dGPU.

In the past 6 months I'd say 40% of the time was hooked up to an monitor so it was forced in dGPU mode.

That said, I don't really concern myself with whether or not the GPU will fail or not.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I do too, but it switches to the DGPU when I hook up my monitor. I thought it has too run the monitor on the dGPU. I'll try switching it when I get on my rMBP later this morning.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Whenever I use utilities to force the iGPU and then connect an external display, the display remains black until I allow the dGPU.

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

On models with the dGPU, the dGPU must be active for external displays because the iGPU isn't connected physically to the Thunderbolt port.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That makes sense, I probably never investigated why I couldn't use the iGPU when running my external monitor.

8. ltorrelles macrumors newbie

ltorrelles

I had a mid 2012 15 inch retina, and I'm a video editor/content creator. I have an external monitor both at the office and at home. I use them pretty much all the time.

I only run the integrated card when I'm watching a movie in bed, or want my battery to last for whatever reason, which isn't really that often.

So, I'd say I'm using the dGPU about 90% of the time.

The laptop will be 2 years old in a month, and it hasn't died on me just yet. I repasted both the CPU & GPU a couple of months ago, though.