Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want a 2-buttons Apple mouse?

• yes

Votes: 47 68.1%
  • no

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • don't care

Votes: 12 17.4%

• Total voters

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Doh!

Sorry, that was supposed to be 'Don't Care' rather than Don't Card!

Any chance the macrumor gods could correct it for me?

Ensign

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
I just want it to be known that I voted yes, BUT there is a condition. If it's 2 buttons but no scroll wheel then I just want one button. If it's 2 button AND a scroll wheel, I want it.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Mac = Simple and neat.

1 Button mouse = Simple and neat.

It makes sense for the Mac to have a simple mouse to go with the simple gui.

I like my Apple Pro Mouse!

Chrisnorth

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2002
Yukon, Canada
Macs have long had support for actions that could be facilitated with a two button mouse; "command-click" or "click and hold" are just not as ergonomic as a right click.

The operating system basically already supports the second button; it just needs to be implemented in the hardware. I'm sure that anyone who really dislikes the second button could continue to use the time tested methods mentioned above.;)

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
Mac = Simple and neat.

1 Button mouse = Simple and neat.

It makes sense for the Mac to have a simple mouse to go with the simple gui.

I like my Apple Pro Mouse!

2 button mouse=even simpler. no command+click, now, its just click.

And, scrolling web pages will be easier!

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
BTO is the way to go

Oooh im bustin the rhymes...

I'd buy one. My current 2 button/scroll doesn't work with mac os x for some reason, even tho mac os x has built in two button/scroll support. But, it should definitely be a build to order option, because mac's are commonly used in education and by the elderly. Grannies and todlers don't work too well with two button mice. So they should definitely go build to order on this one.

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
i have a wacom graphire pad with a 2 button/scroll wheel mouse. i enjoy it quite thoroughly. i work much more quickly with it. apple should provide a 2 button/scroll wheel mouse.

also, i would like to see improved keyboard navigation. it's still not the greatest in osx, and bearly existent in os9.

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
barely

i'm retarded.
also, i think that a shape change in the mouse might be necessary for a two button mouse to feel comfortable.

davincijones

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2002
Akron. Ohio
2 buttons and a wheel rule!

I recently purchased a G4 tower to replace my family's old PC. I'v eused macs before but I'm th eonly one in my family. They loved it when we first booted it up but once they started using it they all complained about the mouse. It moved to slowly (even the tracking speed was maxed) and they hated the fact that it didn't have a wheel like our old pc. I'm the only one out of the four of us that knows anything about computers but they all thought that the mac was slow and akward. They used it for about a week but didn't like using the mac at all. So I went and bought a cool looking logitech mouse with a second button and a wheel and they love using the mac. They like the fact that it's cool looking, easy to use AND NOW easy to control.

The rest of my family is really very computer illiterate but they are not confused by a second button. I showed them how they could hold down the apple key to replace the second button and they looked at me like I was an idiot.

Apple needs a two button mouse. If someone else in my fmily had bought the computer they wouldn't of even known it could use a two button mouse.

With a two button mouse I feel like my Powermac could rule the world. I love it.

Also I have a friend who uses linux but is thinking about getting a mac. He wanted to try it out but despised the mouse. He even told me that if it didn't support a two button mouse he definitely wouldn't buy one.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I just like the 1 button mouse....have used 2 button mice and don't really see the "need for it"...

I already bitched a bunch about it earlier in another thread so this is it from me....:eek:

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
If Apple made a two button mouse with a scroll wheel, I'd buy it and be happy to use two buttons.

If Apple made a one button mouse with a scroll wheel, I'd buy it and be happy to use one button.

I don't care how many buttons my mouse has, I just want a scroll wheel!

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
I don't mind Apple having the Pro Mouse as standard, but I DO think they need to make it really clear that there are multi-button, scroll-wheel sportin' mice and trackballs out there that are fully supported out of the box by OS X. Making them an option for CTO's would be good, too.. but with Apple stores popping up like the critters in a Whack-a-Mole game, I think they need to make a point about the options, since ordering your Mac online is less and less necessary as the retail stores open up. I'd also like to take a moment to complain bitterly that the majority of Apple Stores are in cities with a smaller population than Indianapolis. I want my Apple Store, and I want it soon. (Yes, yes, New York City needs one too.. but you have a dozen Apple Authorized resellers... we have 1 CompUSA... the nearest other place is another CompUSA, in another state, 117 miles away.)

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I don't think some of you guys realize how handy a two button mouse with a scroll wheel can be. :) You know about chording? It's clicking both buttons at once to create an entirely different action. In my case, I have it act as a double click. It's wonderful!

I have a Keningston Mouse-in-a-Box. It has two buttons and a scroll wheel. The scroll wheel can be pressed down to act as a third button plus the chording acts as a fourth button. It's beautiful, it's optical, and it costs $29.99. I'd like to see Apple beat that!

(No, really, I would...)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The Macally ioptinet mouse (two buttons with a scrolling wheel button) is 100% functional under both OS 9.x and OS X. OS X doesn't need any additional drivers. It tracks across the screen more then fast enough, and has full functionality without needing to use any extra keys (ctrl+click). Don't get me wrong, for many people the Apple Pro mouse is just fine, but if you do a lot of web surfin (who here doesn't?) then the wheel is a huge help.

I have used the logitech mice before as well (optical mostly) but have found some driver/extension issues with OS 9.x. Macally mice don't seem to have the same issues. It all depends on what you like, and what is easier for you to get. Either way, get a eunuch mouse, so that you don't have as much gunk to clean. :D

imspace2

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2001
Maryland
<OPTION KEY>

why is it that difficult to understand? I'm sure you all know about the option key but anyway there have been two button mouse on the market for many years. The only feature I would like to see in an Apple OEM mouse is a scroll-wheel and possibly a fingerprint scanner built in such as the MAGIC SECURE 3500@http://www.sos-depot.com/Products/170016.asp Sony also makes a unique mouse with built-in memorystick reader@http://www.sonystyle.com/di/prd.jsp?model=MSAC-US5

sturm375

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
Bakersfield, CA
Why not use the Option Key

This is to those of you who insist that we can all get along just fine using the option key. This idea sucks! Plain and simple, I am lazy, and I am sure I am not the only one out there like that. When I serf the web, I like to relax, and recline. If I have to constantly unrecline just to reach the darn option key on my keyboard, I get anoyed. I know it is very petty, but there is a point. With a GUI 99% of the time we shouldn't need a keyboard, especially on the web.

whitegold

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2001
Brisbane, Australia
Just hit it with your head

I know a PC guy (I am one myself actually) who had to do macromedia training for a design company. He got there and explained "right click, select open" (or whatever) and they kind of sheepishly said "We use macs. We don't have a right button." He just looked around the room blankly and said "Why don't you just get one big padded button so you can bash it with your head?"

It amused me.

In any case, I'm irrelevant, because I use a PC. I personally am of the opinion that the modern standard is and should be 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel.

Games are vastly improve by this more intuitive system. The scrollwheel is used extensively in games, and right click is invaluable. How people play UT on a standard mac mouse is beyond me.

I recently had to try and use photoshop on a Mac, and found it amazingly clunky, not being able to rightclick on layers, right click on effects, etc.

Right clicking is great, but I couldn't live without a scroll wheel. Most serious mac users I know have bought a logitech mouse. But they shouldn't have to. The look and style of the computer is compromised, and that's one thing that Apple really need to avoid.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
ok I'm feeling different today on this I suppose...

:eek: more I'm like willing to give the benefit of the doubt...

to me it just makes me feel like I'm using a PeeCee when I have a 2 button mouse in hand...right-clicking....ugh....I'm sorry...but that's what it feels like to me...

the 1 button mouse (in my weird anal retentive way I suppose) reminds me that I'm using a Macintosh...it's the familiar feeling of the 1 button that I like....but I can see where it could be very handy for some to have 2 buttons...maybe I'm just used to using the keyboard in conjunction with the mouse?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
With the Mac, you can have ALL the functionality of a two button mouse simply by using the CONTROL key (the one allll the way to the left of the spacebar). Otherwise, just go out and get a two button (with the scrolling wheel/button) mouse.

That has been a feature with the Mac OS for some time now, so it is not something new.

As for the person that found PhotoShop 'clunky' on the Mac... All it would take is a few moments to look around, and MAYBE open up one of the many windows that gives you complete control of the application. I select between layers much faster using the layer window then you could ever do with a second button on your mouse.

Mac's rule, peecee's drool :D

germanknee

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2002
AlphaTech:

you beat me to correcting some people.
it is the CONTROL key - not the OPTION or APPLE key. Although those do have some nice functions. OPTION + mouse click outside of an application hides the active app. and the APPLE key's uses go without saying.

and about photoshop, i barely use the right click either. the panels are perfect, esp. the global.

anyway, i still would like to see a 2 button/scroll wheel mouse from apple as an option.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
cant you use something like the Microsoft intellimouse on a Apple? that's what i was thinking of doing, but if apple brought out a mouse with a scroll wheel i would definitely buy it! anyway, macmaniac is right. if Apple decided to make a 2-button mouse with a scroll wheel it would definitely put a dent in intelli mouse sales!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.