Do you want Apple to continue developing Aperture?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jacksonc, Jul 2, 2014.

?

Do you want Apple to continue developing Aperture?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. I think the Photos app will be amazing

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Don't care

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I don't know what Aperture is!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jacksonc, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I am disappointed that Apple plans to discontinue Aperture. :mad: What does everyone else think?

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe the 750 comments in this thread can offer some relief?

To edit your thread title to a coherent one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

This is a poll dude. Thanks anyway

4. simsaladimbamba

I haven't seen the poll when I replied, and since your thread title still does not include the question properly, you might try again at editing the title.

5. MrGIS macrumors regular

Need to fix the title dude..

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I am, but I'm also glad they didn't It caused me to re-think my work flow. I was getting lazy and now this has jolted me awake to re-look at what I'm doing.

so its rather good in the long run that apple has stopped working on AP, because I think I'm moving on to something that is better and I'm confident that adobe will continue to develop and support LR.

The downside, though is that it will most likely be done through the subscription model. Yes, LR5 can be purchased without a subscription, but I don't expect LR6 too.

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If that happens, LR5 would likely be my last LR.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In a sense that's probably why I've been giving Capture One such a hard look, but LR fits my workflow better with its superior categorizations, key wording and interfaces into social media and other sites, like smugmug.

9. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Understood. To me C1 is way too much of a niche product for studio photographers. If they do not rapidly expand the feature set, they will not be a serious contender for former Aperture or LR users.

10. Jacksonc thread starter macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

What's wrong with the title?

11. Razeus macrumors 603

Some of you are still hanging on to what once was eh?

12. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I used Aperture briefly a year or two ago, and I wasn't impressed overall. I have always been a fan of LR and PS, and I that will continue. I certainly will not miss Aperture.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Do we think at this point Apple gives a damn about someone wanting Aperture to have more than a fix to continue onto Yosemite? Aperture is dying...let it go peacefully. Move on.

14. pezdaddy macrumors member

I hear a lot about the hesitation to move to a subscription model (though you can still pick up LR without). It just seems like if you want to go LR, its pay me now or pay me later.

I've been looking at going to the $9.99 a month plan for LR and PS, and I can't see the downside. Again, pay now or pay later. For $120 a year, that's cheaper than buying the programs independently, and updates are automatic.

What I am missing here?

15. seadragon Contributor

I just signed up for that $9.99 plan and I think it's great. Really enjoying LR so far. :)

16. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

I'm sure anyone using Aperture is disappointed. But since Aperture is already officially discontinued, I'm not sure of the value of asking whether we want Apple to continue developing Aperture. Yes, it would be nice, but...it's not going to happen.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That I'm paying 120 bucks a year for LightRoom even they don't upgrade it every 12 months and/or I choose to use the upgrade.

You mentioned pay me now, or pay me later. I think its probably more accurate to say, pay me now, and pay me later and on and on. That's the issue I'm having

18. pezdaddy macrumors member

That's an interesting argument I hadn't considered. I suppose I'm trusting them to provide timely updates.

One thought I just had: what happens if I want to stop paying? Does the program revert to read only? Obviously I still want access to my images... or do you lose that?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

PS and I assume others need to phone home, if it fails to connect to the mother ship within 30 days or your subscription ended the app stops working.

20. seadragon Contributor

I tried this last night with my subsciption. I deactivated my copy of LR on my laptop. When I relaunched it, it allowed me to use the library module. But as soon as I hit the develop module, a message says "please renew your subsciption to creative cloud". So it would appear you don't lose access to your photos. You just can't edit them anymore.

21. notrack macrumors 6502

Totally pro Aperture. However, if Photos app provides the same functionalities, I wouldn't mind.

Why? Because for my usecase Aperture is way ahead in terms of workflow and editing features. None of the alternatives fits my needs so well. Keyword: productivity.

22. pezdaddy macrumors member

Awesome news, thanks!

23. seadragon, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014

seadragon Contributor

I just tried it again after deactivating my copy of LR and can confirm that you are able to work fully in the Library module. I can import, export and move stuff around. but when you try to go to the Develop module, you get this message:

"Develop module is disabled. Please renew your membership to reactivate the Develop module."

A hand also comes out of the monitor and starts slapping your face until you comply. :D

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I buy the workflow and maybe the keywords but editing - that's a stretch. LR has many more in-depth editing features such as lens correction profiles. I have to give the edge to LR on that facet. Don't get me wrong, Aperture was fine for my editing needs once I loaded in some plugins but LR is definitely superior in the editing category. Adobe kept improving and adding features, apple had not.

25. The Bad Guy macrumors 65816

The Bad Guy

Hahaha….folks, just let it go.

Sure, Aperture was good for what it was, years ago. No. I'm not even going to quantify my comments.

Aperture is gone. Just let it goooo….

Edit: I voted no.