Do you want control over text/menu colors

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Italianblend, Oct 18, 2013.

?

Want more control in selecting text display and menu display colors in ios?

1. Yes, I would appreciate the ability to select colors in text/menus/backgrounds

68 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. No, it's fine the way it is.

52 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Other

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Italianblend, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

This has always been something that bothers me about ios. And hearing some complaints about some of the color combinations they have chosen in ios 7 leads me to believe that people want some sort of customization control in this area.

I quite frankly get tired of staring at the same text colors over and over for years on end. Green for text and Blue for imessage. It would be refreshing to be able to change it up from time to time.

The same with menu colors. It's not that all of them look horrible, it's just that I would like to be able to change it up some times to refresh things a bit. Give us a little control over menu and text colors can go a long way to a more satisfying os experience.

I don't understand why apple won't give us at least this little bit of custom control. It certainly isn't going to tax the phone's processor to display different colors now and again.

Another alternative is instead of giving us direct control, apple can create a variety of color themes. This allows them to keep control of what colors the device displays while giving the user ability to change theme colors and keep things fresh.

I would even consider purchasing new themes for a low price ($.99-1.99)

So, I leave this to a poll. Do you want more control over the color options of your iphone?

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

It would be a disaster to let users change colours to any old values that they like. For one thing, the configuration would be endless. You have to admit that the current Settings app is fairly minimal - I wouldn't want that to grow endlessly. For another thing, some colour combinations could end up being awful or unusable. And if you're waving something like that around in public with an Apple logo on the back, Cupertino would not be happy.

As for themes...

Personally, I'm happy with the existing colour scheme. One of my old Sony phones used to have a theme switcher, but I can't say that I really miss that. On the other hand, if Apple were to provide carefully designed alternate themes, why not? It wouldn't add much to the Settings app.

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

it wouldn't have to be a disaster and it wouldn't have to be endless.

For example, go into settings app>Messages>Text Bubble Color:

• Blue
    • Green
    • Yellow
    • Grey
    • Orange

Now, wouldn't it be refreshing to change this up every once in a while?

4. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I don't think changing the text bubble color would be a huge deal. That being said I have never cared that they haven't changed color. Also a setting to change the color would be an change just for the sake of change and that doesn't seem very Apple/Johnny Ive

5. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I am sorry, I just failed to see how colour customization would result functional change to the OS. I also failed to see how colour customization would result a disaster.

Themes are big in jailbreaking community, I can almost say people love theming...

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

no because then on here you'll see 1500 threads on "why can't i chose purple?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?" or "why can't i input my own colour code?"

7. KALLT macrumors 601

It does not have to be complicated. Just two or more themes, including a dark theme, would be more than enough. OS X also has an option for appearance with blue and graphite as options. I could imagine something similar too.

----------

Dark as opposed to bright, or black as opposed to white, can be a big deal, especially in low-light conditions.

8. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Well...you don't have to change any option...if someone prefer dark option then why not let them do? People should able to choose according to their needs.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

I think we are of the same opinion, so I am not sure what you are trying to say. :)

10. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

So, you are going to deny a function of a phone operating system because of how many threads will be created?

These threads can be easily merged!

11. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'd hate to see how ugly phones would look after color customization...

12. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Why are people afraid of "ugly" color combinations? Wouldn't you rather have the freedom to choose how your phone looks? Suit it to your taste? Apple loves to tell you you can customize colors with their cases and the 5C so if people love to customize the outside colors of their phone, why not the inside?

13. iAmirul macrumors regular

iAmirul

Theres an android for that :p

On a serious note, the only thing i wish for is for the phone to have a day/night theme that will automatically switch between themes at the user's preset time. But doubt anything like this will be implemented hah

14. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

That would give me a scary time-travel back to Windows 3.1 era ... Pink window frames with green buttons and yellow text on brown background. No; happy to not be able to do that. And no one I have to support with their iDevices; like my wife or son.

15. Gerbilly macrumors newbie

I would change Calendar it is far too sparse and white. There are far better calendar apps out there. Been able to change colours in the settings of the app would be good.

16. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Yes, night mode is more important than color customization. Hope to see it in 7.1.

17. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

My question is: Why would you say no? Does giving you or others control affect you in any way? If you like it the way it is, you simply do not change anything.

18. RAPTORSKI macrumors regular

RAPTORSKI

I like everything as it is, as long as Apple updates the OS every few years to keep it fresh, it should be okay.

Some control over colours would be ok, it would have to be really simple/minor however to keep the uniformity of the OS.

19. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

It's a poll - right? The OP is asking a question if you would like change or not? Which means he is giving an option for Yes or a No - right?

If I say NO, it doesn't mean it matters to me if someone else wants a change. But this is a democracy, we are allowed to say NO….

If you want only people voting Yes on here - then how is it a Poll or a discussion?

If Apple does provide customisations and I have still voted NO, it would mean I would simply ignore the customisation offered by Apple. It does not mean I do not care about what others wants, I am here to discuss my preference - which I hope is the point of this poll/post...

By the way, I have voted NO… I am happy with the way it is…but that's just my preference….

20. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I would think the reason they don't offer this is to keep a more attractive look to the OS. Even though it's not attractive to everyone, it keeps individual users from creating their own personal looks which may be hideous to everyone else.

I believe the Palm Trēo I had let you change your color theme. All but the default were terrible looking. Showing that off to someone else could very well keep them away from anything Apple.

21. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

The biggest reason is, a large portion of users have really bad taste.

Of course, you could argue that taste is subjective, but it isn't. There is good taste, and there is bad taste, just like there is good design, and bad design.

For proof, look at the home screens of the majority of jailbreak users, they are hideous, absolute eye soars, installed by somebody with really bad taste.

The thing is, ugly UI's don't sell phones, beautiful UI's sell phones.

If I'd never seen an iPhone before, and a geeky kid showed me his iPhone, with a custom ROM, neon, glow in the dark Winterboard theme installed, I wouldn't buy one. I'd think it was ugly.

This is what Apple doesn't want.

Apple allows some customisation, but never enough to make your iPhone ugly.

Beautiful Handcuffs shall we say.

22. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm not buying this "users will have bad taste" stuff. Who am I to tell someone that the colors they choose is bad taste? It's not my phone, nor will it affect me in any way.

I think a middle-ground compromise here are themes that apple creates themselves. It would allow the uptight apple community to still be happy that Apple has created these themes, therefore they must be acceptable, and it would allow users at least some color customization, although very restrictive.

23. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

People will say no just because. Mostly to be argumentative for the same of it, despite coming up with various reasons to try to support it, none of the reasons will still explain why they should care what someone else might do with their phone and that simply having an option won't somehow change things for others who will just leave all on defaults anyway. Sure, there are reasons why Apple might not want to provide extra options, but there aren't really any rational ones as why end users wouldn't want to have them.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I can imagine a tech support call.

Q: "Why is one text message in blue and the other in green?"

A: "Did it start out that way or did you change the color?"

Q: "I don't remember, how do I know?"

*Quiet sound of a face palm*