Do you want future iPhone models to be skinnier/sleeker or the same depth?

Do you want the iPhone to be thinner, same thickness, or thicker?

• Thinner

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Same Thickness

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • Thicker

Votes: 6 8.1%

• Total voters

ant131531

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
What my titles means is do you want the next generation iphones to be skinnier and sleekier or the same thickness....or even thicker.

I personally want the same size iphone as if it gets too skinny and becomes like the ipod touch(hypothetically speaking), it won't feel the same in the hand and become less confortable to hold.

Post your opinions here =)

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Same thickness or thinner is good for me. Definitely not thicker. Maybe a little larger screen.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I want in to be whatever Apple tells me what I want it to be, since they seem to know what we all want even more than we do ourselves. :D

j/k aside,
I think if it ever got to be as thin as the iPod Touch, that might be to thin as a phone for me, Id be to worried Id damage my phone, even though the touch is actually pretty strong.

peperoni

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I have no need for it to be any thinner. Right now it's thin enough that it doesn't feel uncomfortable in pocket. Also I would gladly accept iPhone to get thicker if it meant that the cam and batterylife would be better.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Same dimensions as the iPod Touch with an ALUMINUM BACK! and a plastic piece painted to match with a black reflective apple.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Any more thin and it wouldn't feel right for me. I don't see how it can get thinner and still be functional. We are already paying a price r/t battery vs performance. I major jump in batter tech would be needed to offer better battery life, esp with the new chips coming out as of late. I was looking at my wifes old 2g and was really liking the look of it..... I don't really need the tapered ends of the current design. No 2 tone back though..... aluminum and black back doesn't = win IMHO....

niuniu

macrumors 68020
I'm in the same width camp at the moment, I quite like the feel if it with a leather case on. Not fiddly and lots of grip, just a nice palm width. Maybe if they trim a bit of the thickness it can still be nice, would have to hold one to know either way.

Battery life increase would be pref to making it thinner for me though.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Same size lets Apple put more in. Lets them have the sleeker model be the Touch, which seems to be their preference.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
I agree with a lot of others on here. I think the size is perfect. I owned an ipod touch before and I dropped it a bunch because it was too thin. Just cram a bigger battery in there and keep it the same size or even slightly bigger if need be.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
The thickness is fine right now. Wouldn't want it any thinner. I wouldn't mind a little more thickness if it meant a better battery.

benna

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I would say same thickness. Since the current thickness has the perfect fit. If is thinner, it would be too thin to hold in hand and obviously, not thicker.

blancoBronco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2009
South Tampa
Same dimensions as the iPod Touch with an ALUMINUM BACK! and a plastic piece painted to match with a black reflective apple.
NOOOOOOO!!!!! the iPhone will NEVER have an aluminum back again. The aluminum back was a horrible design choice on the first iPhone and apple knows this. it will be plastic (or something similar) forever

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
NOOOOOOO!!!!! the iPhone will NEVER have an aluminum back again. The aluminum back was a horrible design choice on the first iPhone and apple knows this. it will be plastic (or something similar) forever
From what I know, Apple chose to use the plastic back cover for the 3G / 3GS in order to achieve better signal reception. If Apple thought the aluminum back to be a bad design, why are they keeping it for the iPod touch?

For me, I'd much prefer the aluminum look of the first-gen iPhone.

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
From what I know, Apple chose to use the plastic back cover for the 3G / 3GS in order to achieve better signal reception. If Apple thought the aluminum back to be a bad design, why are they keeping it for the iPod touch?

For me, I'd much prefer the aluminum look of the first-gen iPhone.
If you look at the back of the iPod touch, there is a black plastic section. That is where the wifi chip and bluetooth chip are. The first gen iPhone did that as well, the entire bottom quarter of the back was black plastic, but I guess Apple still felt the aluminum was messing with the cell signals, hence the reason they changed it to all plastic only for the iPhone, not the iPod touch.