"Do you want to erase this iPad..."?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jakey74, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Jakey74 macrumors newbie

I needed to restore the O/s on the PC using an image file backup (about 1 year old). When I connected the iPad I found that I could not launch iTunes because of this message:

'The file iTunes Library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes'

I found a youtube video that suggested that I rename the file 'itunes library' to 'itunes library.itl' to cure this problem. I did this and then I found I could launch iTunes. However now the following message shows up:

'The iPad is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPad and sync with this iTunes library?'

What the does it mean by "Do you want to erase this iPad..."? I certainly don't want the iPad to adjust itself to what's on PC of about a year ago, but rather the other way around.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

If the music etc is in the library it will just erase and then put it back

But I'm curious why, when it said the file was created by a newer version of iTunes, you didn't just update iTunes.

3. Jakey74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well because that's what landed me in this mess the first time. The updated iTunes made the mediacentre unstable, so in order to get the mediacentre working again I restored to an image file, little knowing that it doing so it erased the all important Library.itl. Why didn't state on page 1 of the ipad manual MAKE SURE YOU TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR Library.itl AND BACK IT UP EACH DAY BECAUSE WITHOUT IT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SYNC.

What I'm worried about is losing stuff off the ipad if and when it syncs with the computer. The music is not downloaded music so won't be a problem but what about apps & app data, and pictures taken with the ipad that won't be in the computers Library.itl or anywhere on the computer for that matter? That'll get erased from the ipad if pictures and apps are set to sync? If I had known this I would have installed iTunes on the data drive and not the o/s drive. Too late now:(