Do You Want to Run This Application?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mahall, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Mahall macrumors newbie

All I wanted too do was play some online scrabble. After putzing around getting Java to work now I get this when I try to start a game of Pogo Scrabble:

Do you want to run this Application?
    Name: com.pogo.client.jvmtest.Applet
    Publisher: Electronic Arts, Inc.

This application will run with unrestricted access which may put your computer and personal information at risk. Run this application only if you trust the publisher.

What does this mean?

Thanks for any help

Mahall

2. Nam Pla macrumors member

I do a couple of online crosswords that use Java. When Apple recently updated the Java thing, I downloaded it and assume it's now okay to use.

I got the same pop-up message when trying to do these puzzles, and just clicked "Run" and went ahead and did them. Not sure if that was a smart thing to do or not. If my computer blows up from it, I'll report back here to let you know. :)

Oh wait... then I wouldn't be able to would I? :confused:

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Ah, JVMTest is basically a little applet that verifies that you have a version of Java capable of handling whatever the site is about to toss at you. This is normally safe, but the fact that it's a signed applet makes no sense to me. JVM testing applets should never need signing / additional permissions.

4. Mahall thread starter macrumors newbie

I allowed it and nothing odd has happened yet.

Thank you.