Do you wish the MacBook had a more standard keyboard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macjay, May 26, 2007.

?

1. I own a MacBook, and I'm happy with the keyboard.

48 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. I own a MacBook, and I'd prefer if it had a more standard keyboard.

6 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. I don't own a MacBook, but I like its keyboard.

30 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. I don't own a MacBook, but I'd prefer if it had a more standard kb (perhaps I'd buy one if it did).

9 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. macjay macrumors 6502

Or are you cool with the one it has?

Poll coming up...

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Most people I know who own a macbok don't have a problem with it. I don't like it in terms of aesthetics. But it is more likely to keep dust and other junk out.

I bought an MBP in (a small) part because of the backlit keyboard. But do I ever really use it? Not really.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm actually very happy with the keyboard the macbook has. the look is something to get used to, but i love it now. and i've always liked the way it types. i actually wish the macbook pro had a keyboard (still backlit) that was more like the macbook's. but that's another topic.

4. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Still getting used to it so I'm not going to vote yet, but the keys don't feel as responsive as a standard keyboard yet.

6. macjay thread starter macrumors 6502

Personally, I find that the MacBook keyboard lacks tactile feedback. I actually need that feedback to type properly.

Of course, it's a personal thing as many people on this board have said that they love the MacBook keyboard.

7. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Have it, and love it. I like the separation between the keys, and the sunken look.

8. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

9. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I have one, and I think its fine. I hate regular notebook keyboards; I have a hard time typing on them because the keys are too close.

10. Mistershark macrumors regular

I don't have a MacBook, but to me, the keyboards are fine.

11. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I like my MB the way it is, including the keyboard. The only thing thAT ANNOYS ME IS SOMETIMES I HIT CAPS LOCK WHEN I GOT OVER TO PRESS THE "a" button. There are a few reasons I'm upgrading to a MBP, mainly processor, VRAM, RAM, screen size, and HD size (I know I can upgrade the MBs, but I'd prefer a BTO). I'm happy with my BlackBook, it does what it should, and works flawlessly.

12. johndoe588 macrumors regular

Guess I misunderstood the poll. I voted for a more standard keyboard, but I meant more PC like, backspace, a real page down, stuff like that. I'm new at Mac coming from a long line of Thinkpads. I'm getting used to the Macbook keyboard, the feel, the key spacing, but it sure would be cool if it were backlit like the Pro.

13. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

i was a pc person before i got my MB. it's not like there's that much difference. you don't have to learn how to type again with a MB.

14. mms macrumors 6502a

The only problem I have with the keyboard is that the keys are separated too much. I love my key commands but I find myself having trouble hitting cmd-alt commands (like cmd-alt-f for the Google search box in Safari). On my PowerBook I can just reach down with the left thumb and easily hit both keys.

15. 66217 Guest

I love the MB keyboard. For me it is easier to use, now when I use the traditional one I have a harder time with it.

But as some one else said, I also hit very often the CAPS button when trying to click the "a".

16. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

i just wish they had the 12 inch powerbook just with a intel processor :D that thing rules!!!!!

17. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

yeah i do that sometimes too

18. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't have one, but from playing with one in the store its ok.... i like the pb/macbook pro better. I'm sure if i got a mb i would get used to the keyboard.

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I love the keyboard, much prefer it to my full sized apple keyboard. The keyboard was one of several factors that swayed me in favour of the MacBook over the MacBook Pro.

20. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

It took me a while to get used to it, but I don't have any troubles anymore. When I first got it I hit the Caps button a lot when I attempted to hit the A key, but rarely if ever anymore. It's a good keyboard, and it works for me fine.

21. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

There's a free utility somewhere that disables the Caps Lock.

I use it on my PB to do just that, as I hit it all the sodding time. I prefer my computer to adapt to me, rather than me adapt to it. I'm sure it's out now for the MB and MBP.

I use another utility to change the key to the right of my right-hand Apple key (the one with the funny up arrow thing I have no idea what it means) to a second Alt or Ctrl key.

22. hopejr macrumors 6502

I love the keyboard!! It's the best laptop keyboard I've ever used and travels really well. I also like how I don't clip the keys and almost rip them off like on normal laptop keyboards.

23. slayr-cxf50 macrumors member

Hmm, I use one at least once a week, and I never have any problems with them.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I can't stand using any other laptop keyboard now. I absolutely love the MacBook keyboard, the way it feels, the way it's separated just right, etc. It's a really good design.

jW

25. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

macbook keyboard is the best ever, on most notebook keyboards, the keys feel jammed together and very slippery and thin, not making it a pleasant experience. the macbook pro has this problem as well. i think the keyboard is great for someone with large hands like me.