Do you wish the watch was simpler?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by AppleJuiceBox, Apr 27, 2015.

1. AppleJuiceBox macrumors member

Looking at the Android wear devices out there that are basically just an extension to your phone...while the Apple Watch is a whole new device.

When I think about it, for people like you and me, this will be very easy to learn to use, but when I think about my parents (50s), this will not be an easy thing to learn to do.

Do you guys think that the watch would have attracted as many people or maybe even more if the watch was simpler??

I'm sure apple is very smart and thought this through...

2. PhoneI macrumors 65816

You really think non-technical older people wouldn't have the same issues with an Android wear watch?

I wore a moto360 for a few weeks. I can tell you there is certainly a learning curve.

3. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

It doubt it would attract a different amount of people, but for those who do purchase it and are not experinced with technology, a simpler UI would be preferrable.

Android Wear focuses much less on apps, but rather on delivering useful notifications when you need them; more like a watch with some added benefit. Apple Watch, on the other hand, tries to incorperate notifications but it also focuses on apps which make it seem more like an iPhone on the wrist, rather than a watch. Overall, while both have their benefits, Android Wear is much easier to learn for most and I assume sales will greatly increase if iOS compatability is implemented.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes - there is a learning curve for Android Wear (and any new device) However I think that the learning curve the for Apple Watch is "far" greater given simply because of the multiple types of gestures and input methods.

Android wear is pretty "vanilla" - good functionality - but it's pretty straightforward - especially after 10-15 minutes. Everything I'm reading about the Apple Watch - a little more complex. Overwhelming, no - but definitely more complex.

5. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Well for me it was very simple to understand and move around. For elder people that do not understand using an iPhone or a Mac...the watch is not for them.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Really?

You turn it on, it walks you through pairing it with your phone like any other bluetooth device, then it shows you sample cards and how to read, dismiss, and reply to them. Basically an Android Wear watch is a watch face, but when you get a notification you see it show up on the bottom where you can swipe up to read, or right to dismiss. Not really that complicated...

8. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

There will always be a group of people that no matter how simple you make something it will feel too complicated for them. Just yesterday, I overheard a gentleman in the store telling someone they were having to use text messages for work and could not understand why they were being forced to use something so complicated.....and I kept walking so I'm not sure what the other points were but still. I know people that even now prefer not to use text messages because they feel complicated.

Apple will do fine with the watch and other products and they do a very good job of making them simple to use. If you're willing and want to take the time to use them. They will have more than enough people willing and a bunch more just on the edge with access to someone that can help them along. (talking the people that want one but need a little help with it)

9. KPOM macrumors G5

There is a learning curve if you want to do everything that the Apple Watch offers. However, after using it for 3 days I'd say I pretty much had it down by Saturday afternoon with casual use. It didn't seem confusing to figure out the basics. My guess is that this was Apple's idea. People who want to use it as a notification device like Android Wear can do so pretty easily. People who want to delve into more complex features can also do so.

I've actually found the learning curve a lot less steep than I was expecting based on the first round of reviews. This may be a product that tech reviewers have a "harder" time figuring out than the average person, simply because the latter won't be trying to figure out every last feature.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't disagree. I was just responding that I believe the AQ has a steeper learning curve overall. Whether or not someone uses features requiring a deeper dive is much like whether or not they use their iPhones in the same manner. You don't have to learn too too much to "use" an iPhone. But once you start diving into more functionality - it's a steeper curve.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think two modes would be nice; an easy "watch-only" one, maybe it could take calls too. I'm trying to think of something that my grandparents would be able to use, something with reminders+alarms we could set to remind them to take medication or of important events.

And then the "normal mode" that does what it currently does.

12. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I would appreciate if the Apple Watch would be more of a watch rather than a miniaturized smartphone strapped to your wrist. That's the beauty of Android Wear, and in particular, the Pebble Time. It's very easy to use, the interface gets out of the way, and the devices are a watch first and a computer second. Not that the Apple Watch is bad, but the interface is cluttered compared to Android Wear and many UI elements are simply too small to be easy to use in my opinion.

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Simpler? No. If it's too simple, I can just keep using my other watches instead.

The true "home screen", at least how I use the watch, is really the watch face itself. I can make the face very simple by not adding any complications, or I can use complications as shortcuts to my most-used apps.

I think the so-called "learning curve" is long, but it's not steep. I can add more features via apps if I want, or I can make it very basic, too.

14. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

According to designer Donald Norman, the only intuitive interface is the nipple. Everything else is learned.

There's nothing very complicated about the Apple Watch. There are very nice short movies that explain how to use it. If people have experience with iOS products, they're already halfway there.

15. Easttime macrumors 6502

Surely fingers qualify? And voice? Both work with the Watch.

16. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

You probably want to buy one test it out for couple week before return, then make your judgement.

Sometime thing "out there" are not what you think.

17. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am no spring chicken and the AW seems kind of simple already!

18. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Can't see a reason to make it simpler as it is pretty simple now. Took maybe an hour to have the few swipes down. Would rather use swipes and a button than twisting the bezel. But that is just me.

19. Sagnet macrumors member

Yes, I wish it was simpler in the sense that I don't need all the health sensors. Without the heart rate and skin detection sensors (which I have disabled), the watch would have been slimmer.

20. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

How could it be any simpler? Serious question.

21. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Sticking my finger in my nose and screaming "Do what I MEAN!" at the watch hasn't worked yet...

22. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I think the variety of interactions turn people off, especially if I list them like this:

Field of icons, each as big as a Tic-Tac turned on its end;
    Press the crown to go to the watch face, unless you're at the watch face, in which case you'll go to the icon field;
    but if you launch an app from its icon, press the crown to go back to the icon field;
    but if you swipe down to see a notification, pressing the crown takes you to the watch face;
    If you want to switch on airplane mode, mute, or do not disturb, the easiest way is to press the crown until you reach the watch face, then swipe up, then maybe swipe sideways to the Control Center-ish Glance;
    You can do extra functions via Force Touch, maybe, if the developer has considered the option, or if they haven't, you'll only see the app "bounce" like its teasing you;
    Etc.

That's the confusing way to describe it.

I've gotten the hang of it myself, I believe. I treat the crown button as a "mode switch", using it to go from watch mode to app mode. Once I'm in either mode, the crown lets me stay there until I press it again. I feel like I use the watch face as my Home screen since I look at it the most often, and the field of icons becomes an Accessories screen.

23. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

I don't know, maybe I'm just electronically inclined or gadget inclined but I find it very user friendly.
    Listed all out in text like that it does look like it wouldn't be but when you use it I find it user friendly.

24. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Right, so do I.

I think it's amazing how so much potential got jammed into such a small device, and -- more impressively, IMO -- how quick the interactions are. It's become so natural, I've found myself trying to Force Press my iPhone 5S and iPad 2 (and sometimes my iPod nano).