Do you work at home???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jc0481, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

Or know somebody that does? I am looking into working from home and hopefully somebody here can point me in the right direction. If it's a book, seminar or a website link that would be helpful. I would like to do it either full-time or part-time. I think it will be better if I do it part-time.

I'm open to starting my own business or working from home for a company. I have looked at the newspaper ads and some craigslist ads but some are just screaming "SCAM!" I would love to do the whole Ebay seller and maybe one day become a power seller. I know this is an immense subject but hopefully somebody here works from home or knows somebody that does.

I know a lot of people are doing this right now. I also know that most of those are Ebay power sellers. Since the closest thing for competition for Ebay is Craigslist. I would rather pick Ebay. But open to other suggestions. But I am not sure how Ebay power sellers where they keep all their stuff that want to sell, figure out prices in order to make a profit at the same time keep customers happy and also compete with other sellers.

I almost forgot to mention about Amazon. Private sellers selling through Amazon. That sounds more promising from what I've skimmed so far. F.Y.I I work a regular M-F job and go to school right now. But the school is an online university which I can log in anytime.

So if you are working from home or know somebody that does. Are you/they successful? Is it worth it?
    With so much credit card debt and medical debt. I still will keep my current job and do this as a side thing. In order to get out debt and put a nice down payment on a house. I also would like to give money to my parents who are struggling in the future. As a way to give back to them for what they have done for me growing up.

Thanks any information will be very much appreciated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Most "working from home" jobs that you see are scams. They're these get rich quick schemes that require money to start up and you become a proud member of a spot on the pyramid.

However, there are a few jobs that will allow you to work from home, but I do believe you have to have a certain skill set. I work from home but I am what you call a telecommuter. Meaning a seemingly reputable company pays me to do my job from an undisclosed ... ok I am kidding, but my company allows me to work from home. I have been with them for a number of years though, which undoubtedly helped my case in deciding to telecommute.

I think if you look for jobs that are falling under the header of telecommuting you'll find them, but nothing you can do on the side unless you have a certain set of skills.

The rest, in my opinion, are all scams or just things that you shouldn't do. Any job that requests you to pay money to work is not a job ... that's just flushing cash down the toilet; which coincidently you can do from home. ;)

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I work from home home, but my desire for face time with someone other than a golden retriever brings me to Starbucks a few times a week.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Can you design websites / graphic design to a professional level? And either have or have the money to buy a Mac Pro with CS4? If so then why aren't you working from home already?

In all other cases then yeah its probably a scam, those "i made $5000 in a day" are scams unless it involves selling your kidneys.

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Get a trade in something you love and start your own business.

Most of the power sellers I know of are doing something called drop selling which is basically (from what I understand) a company pays you a percentage of everything you sell for them via ebay or wherever .

A trade is your best bet, go for something that people will always need, regardless of economic climate etc, then make your self the best at it in your area.

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I would love to work from home, but i guess i would miss the human interaction. What i wouldn't miss is the co workers that have to know everyones business

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

No I can't be trusted to work alone. I end up posting on the internet, eating, and having frequent short naps. I'm jealous of the people that have the self-control and dedication to do so. Best of luck jc0481 :).

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hah, same here. I know exactly what you mean too.
    Me and a friend (lives on other end of the country) run an independent game studio from our respective homes. It's great but I'd rather get a small office now.