Do you work at your dream job? if so, what is it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jeremysteele, Mar 31, 2014.

1. jeremysteele, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

jeremysteele macrumors 6502

Since I was 5 years old I knew I wanted to run a (hopefully large) software company. I never liked following - leading was appealing; and I've always had a love of software.

When I was 16/17 I started freelancing, and didn't goto college. I chugged out work for several years, gaining experience and friends. I landed my first "real" coding job about 1.5 years ago. Now I work as a lead dev for a startup, and run my own small software company on the side (weekend projects, for now)... so tantalizingly close to my "dream job".

Hopefully within a year or two that dream will become a reality.

So how about you guys... Do you work at your dream job, or are you still on the path (perhaps it is a hobby for now?) Have you given up on it completely?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm currently studying for my dream job, but at 5 years old I was playing with Ninja Turtles, not dreaming of owning a software company. 0_o

3. jeremysteele, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

jeremysteele thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool!

I played games when I was 5 - and was incredibly fascinated by them, which got me into software. Used to play with game data in Resedit, try to break them, etc. A few weeks of that and I was hooked for life, and wanted to work on software.

Did a few accidental HDD reformats back in the day too - just trying to break apart games.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

My cousin did that when he was little and now he's a software engineer, so maybe it's not just a coincidence. :p

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Parking lot attendant at DisneyWorld.

No stress job that keeps me outside enjoying the beautiful Florida weather (I'm currently typing this in Boston where its 40 degrees and its been consistently in the 20s and 30s this past month).

Also once you punch out, you're done, no need to take work home with you. I'm currently on call 24x7x365. So a low stress job like working at Disney is what I'd love to do.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Nope. Then again being a roguish starship captain/owner of an FTL vessel isn't yet a possibility. Nor likely in my lifetime if ever. My dream jobs since I was a kid where always completely unfeasible or unrealistic. The mundane never interested me.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Do I sense a Firefly aficionado? :p

8. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

My dream job is to be a starter at a golf course. I'll be there one day.

The job entails being outside on a nice day, drinking coffee, looking towards the first green every so often, and then saying "Alright, guys, go ahead."

:)

Seriously, though, my original dream job was to be in broadcasting. After several years on that path, including stints on my high school and college radio stations, I learned that there was zero job security and seriously low pay (even back in the 1980s when this all happened).

I entered the working world with an LAS degree and started selling computers and computer supplies. I learned as much as I could about technology, eventually becoming a UNIX systems administrator at an investment firm (which, coincidentally, was NeXT Computer's biggest customer). Years of that led to where I am now, as an IT Relationship Manager which puts me as liaison between businesses and IT departments.

Dream job? Not really, but I look forward to working every single day.

Oh, and I was able to scratch that radio itch for several years in the mid-to-late 2000s when my wife and I produced a pretty successful podcast.

Moral of the story: things may not go as planned, and sometimes dreams change.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I don't know that I have a 'dream job' per se. I just want to be happy with what I do and be paid well for it. So far, I have the happy part going for me. :p

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Of course. Let's not forget Han Solo and many other SciFi characters of the same ilk. Basically cowboys and frontiersmen in space.

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

yep.

stay home parent. hardest AND most rewarding job ever.

pay sucks, hours suck, lots of repetitive tasks (no, No, NO).

but. every day is an amazing challenge. they learn something new every day. they change in small/incremental but important ways every day. i like a clean house so i make it so. i like healthy fresh food cooked at home so i make it so. i like finance and budgets so i make the 'out less than in' every month and then make sure the saved money is working as hard as we are. king of my vinyl wrapped, single story castle. epic.

and. i get to play with all the cool toys when they are at school. the current stuff is cool. seriously, we had legos, but they were all 2x2 or 4x2 and everything always ended up looking like minecraft... all their sets are like epic robots of doom and stuff. i had an atari 2600, they have 3ds systems and we make stop motion clips. just saying, a lot has changed!

oh yeah, and i get to wear comfy clothes no matter what. :)