Do you "www."?

Do you "www."?

  • Yes

    Votes: 26 28.0%
  • No

    Votes: 42 45.2%
  • Sometimes

    Votes: 25 26.9%

  • Total voters
    93

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
1,087
1
Not at the beach...
Do you type "www." before a web address.
Even though you don't have to, I still do :eek:

Why do they even have "www." anyway? What purpose does it serve?

"If you need me I'll be on world wide web dot mac rumors dot com!"
 

cbetta

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
103
0
strangely I know some websites that serve a different page on www and without-www. In fact, www is just a subdomain of the main page, and most sites recognize this is as the default, but when a server is configured otherwise, it might lead to different pages.
 

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
1,087
1
Not at the beach...
cbetta said:
strangely I know some websites that serve a different page on www and without-www. In fact, www is just a subdomain of the main page, and most sites recognize this is as the default, but when a server is configured otherwise, it might lead to different pages.
Oh.
This poll is kinda pointless now, I guess...
 

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
790
90
Not only do I type "www.," I still type out "http://"

Afterall, www would be kind of pointless with out hypertext transport protocol.
 

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
243
0
For the most part, I don't write www. Occasionally there's a site that requires it, but otherwise I don't use it.
 

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
888
0
ct, us
I try not to. If there's one thing I miss about Windows (IE in particular), its the ability to autofill a web address by just typing in the domain name, then pressing CTRL --> Enter. It automatically fills in the http:// and the .com. So all that you need to type is macrumors into the address bar, hit CTRL --> Enter and it fills in everything else. Very cool.

Yeah, thats the only thing I miss. :p
 

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
1,756
2
no. never.

and I never type .com either.

If I know the website is .org I will type it like feedmebetter.org. If I know its a .com I just type in the name and bingo. That is the biggest reason why I will not switch to firefox. firefox guesses where you want to go - that's crazy.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,636
0
There is no uspto.gov, so the www. habit lives on.

What was the browser that made you type in the http:// even late in the game? Was that Mosaic?

[edit: I just dug up a copy of Mosaic and tried, and that's the one. Even the 3.0 betas from 1996 insisted on it.]
 

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
2,710
133
Nope unless the site doesn't load. And I don't think I've ever used "http://". I've stopped using ".com" too now unless needed, sometimes I unconciously still do it though.
 

Steve1496

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
601
0
nosen said:
I try not to. If there's one thing I miss about Windows (IE in particular), its the ability to autofill a web address by just typing in the domain name, then pressing CTRL --> Enter. It automatically fills in the http:// and the .com. So all that you need to type is macrumors into the address bar, hit CTRL --> Enter and it fills in everything else. Very cool.

Yeah, thats the only thing I miss. :p

Or in Safari, Firefox, and Camino, all you have to do it type "macrumors" into the address bar (minus the quotation marks) and it fills in http://www.macrumors.com.
 

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
2,087
3
Chicago, IL
I usually don't type www. but there are a few sites that require it in order to load.

On the flip side my university has a site that won't load if you DO put www. Of course it is actually a shortcut that redirects to a normal page so that may be why. But still, interesting, try it: www.express.cites.uiuc.edu does not work but express.cites.uiuc.edu does.
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
37,385
3,492
Los Angeles
I remember waaaaaaaaay back when the Internet was new and I'd hear radio ads tell me to go to "h t t p colon slash slash w w w dot somewhere dot com". Some of them called it a "period" instead of a "dot". The worst of them goofed and said "backslash backslash", a mistake that has always puzzled me but I still here now and then.

Then people got used to those weird http:// prefixes and web browsers learned to fill them in for you too. So ads would say to visit "w w w dot somewhere dot com".

Later, that evolved into "somewhere dot com" since almost all businesses direct the subdomain to the main site or vice versa, so www is almost always optional.

And lately I've heard more ads that say to visit "somewhere" on the web, no prefix, and no top-level domain, so ".com" is assumed if they don't say. Couldn't be much simpler than that! :)
 

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
4,380
124
Austin, TX
Steve1496 said:
Or in Safari, Firefox, and Camino, all you have to do it type "macrumors" into the address bar (minus the quotation marks) and it fills in http://www.macrumors.com.
This doesn't seem to be consistent for me on Mac. On Windows, FF works just like IE, press Ctrl-Enter to autofill the http://www. and the .com parts of the address. Does Mac have a similar feature? I know that you can just put in the address (like 'macrumors') and press enter, but it doesn't always seem to do the same thing. I like know what it is going to fill in, like with Ctrl-Enter in Windows.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't except for the sites that make me do it because of poor web setup. Of which there are one or two for my university that I use. But that usually means I try those without the www. accidentally and they fail to load. :rolleyes: Le sigh.
 

Glen Quagmire

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
512
0
UK
Doctor Q said:
I remember waaaaaaaaay back when the Internet was new and I'd hear radio ads tell me to go to "h t t p colon slash slash w w w dot somewhere dot com". Some of them called it a "period" instead of a "dot". The worst of them goofed and said "backslash backslash", a mistake that has always puzzled me but I still here now and then.
When I first started using the web, I used to type in http:://. The browser I was using (lynx, on a HP Un*x box) kindly corrected it for me. I also called URLs "email addresses" for a time.

In my defence, this was 1995, and the internet was completely insignificant at that time.
 

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
2,414
0
The Library.
iMeowbot said:
There is no uspto.gov, so the www. habit lives on.

What was the browser that made you type in the http:// even late in the game? Was that Mosaic?

[edit: I just dug up a copy of Mosaic and tried, and that's the one. Even the 3.0 betas from 1996 insisted on it.]
i know it's random, but i was just reading about mosaic in The World is Flat, by Thomas Friedman. great book. it's taught me tons about the history of computers and the internet.
 

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
1,319
0
I only www when i know a sites name, i sometimes www when doing without it does not work (sometimes it does not).
 

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
21,797
8,005
CT
lets say for example macrumors.com and lets say a totally different site macrumors.org? how would it tell the difference if you just typed macrumors?
 

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
357
0
According to Netcraft, 62% of all websites are running Apache Webserver. (Most of the rest are running Microsoft's IIS *barf*). Anywho, when you config Apache there's a little text file that controls the domain and subdomains. The bit of text that controls Macrumors might look like this...

Code:
<VirtualHost 123.45.67.89>
[COLOR="Red"]ServerAlias www.macrumors.com macrumors.com[/COLOR]
DocumentRoot /home/<path to site>/public_html/www
ServerName www.macrumors.com
... other stuff ...
</VirtualHost>
The text in red is key. As long as the site admin includes the with-www and without-www, then it doesn't matter if you type it into your browser.