Do your clothes smell after washing them?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Big-TDI-Guy, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Scotelsalv macrumors newbie

Help

I have tried everything. Wash jeans on their own, wash the towels on their own, bought the cleaner for the machine. Can't get rid of the smell. I paid top dollar for a HE beautiful front loader that's supposed to save me $$$ but instead I'm constantly rewashing clothes

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I have a front loader and my clothes come out smelling awesome! I never leave them in there wet for more than a few minutes and maybe that's why.

I also clean out the drum and the detergents drawer after I'm done using it and let it dry fully before closing it.

Bacteria and mildew are the usual culprits for stank like that and it's difficult to get rid of. Dry them really well and put them in a bag in the freezer (perhaps with a dryer sheet) for a few days then re-wash them. It sounds strange but it's likely to kill the bacteria and give your clothes less stank-factor.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I think that this is key to the problem.

Yes.

We have 2 front-loaders and 1 top-loader in our building. I wait for the top-loader. It holds more, takes less time, and does a better job.

People usually leave the lid up on that one, which allows it to fully dry, at least over-night. Even if they don't, air still gets in around the top.

The people who use the front-loaders have been 'trained' to leave the door open slightly, which allows them to breath as well. You close that door and it becomes a massive petri dish.

We have no complaints about the clothes smelling, and, trust me, these people have complaining down to a fine art.

4. Scotelsalv macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. for the very reason I dont leave them in there, I have my kids trained in not doing so also. I also wash them and clean out the filter thing. I am going to call samsung on Friday as this is beyond ridiculus. I will try the freezer thing though. thanks again

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

A thought just occurred.

As front-loaders use far less water, the temperature of the water might be more critical. If your washer is a long way from your hot water tank, the water in each fill-up might just be tepid by the time it gets to the machine.

Can you run the water to get it hot before you start the washer, or does the washer have a heating coil similar to a dish-washer?

Or, your tank thermostat might need an up-tick.

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

These machines all have a heating coil. In fact most new front loaders have only cold water feed for the very reason you point out here.

7. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

My Kenmore washer is not that old - and it does NOT have a heating coil.

Oddly enough, I actually run hot water at the nearby faucet for ~20 seconds before starting the washer. I also tried starting a hot load, then canceling it, and restarting again - but that was very time consuming.

Have to appreciate the irony that I work with hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialized cleaning equipment at work.... but still deal with my front end loader at home. :eek:

8. Ed2 macrumors newbie

I totally agree with your last statement. Personally I think we consumers have been sold a bill of goods on HE washers. They stink literally. I sure wish I had my old top loader back. The HE one uses less water but big deal it takes twice as long to wash a load of clothes and using electricity is more expensive for me than using a bit more water. One of the cycles takes 2 hours for crying out loud!!! Plus my clothes haven't been truly clean or smelled clean since I first used it.:mad:

And don't tell me to try bleach or vinegar or baking soda either cause I've tried them all. I immediately put my clothes in the dryer and also leave the door open between loads to dry. I run the "Affresh" (more crap to buy) cycle once a month and it lasts maybe a week before my dish cloths stink as soon as you get them wet. Same goes for my husband's tee shirts and I'm sorry but I'm not buying new tee shirts every week as someone suggested.

What I'm going to do is put this so-called HIGH EFFICIENCY washing machine on the auction block and buying a top loader instead.:mad:

9. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Interesting coincidence that this thread comes back to life today. Had an interesting event with my ole Front Loader just this afternoon.

In the past, used to clean out the "lint trap" inside the agitator of the top loading washers - and you'd find... lint. Easy to swap remove, clean - no big deal.

Just yesterday our machine threw an error code - and was not draining fast enough according to Google. (at all) Discovered there was also a lint trap in this front loader - behind a panel inside the machine. Funny enough, the literature taped INSIDE the machine itself was clear about this trap and having to clean it - but the manual we got with it during purchase - not so much.

The pure hatred contained within this trap cannot be described with words, it was evil - in smell form.

The real mind blowing bit here, is how half these items actually got into the trap - as the tube connecting them is smaller than half of this stuff!

Bear in mind - this is not the smell of the mildew issue from waaaay past, but it may contribute due to the inadequate draining of the washer.

I've been pretty lucky with the mildew bit, it was a combination of approaches - leaving door open, putting washer on elevated platform to assist in draining, running bleach through it with hot water, wiping the rubber boot inside the door, and washing fewer articles of clothing with less detergent.

I do miss the old top loaders still, less maintaining, FASTER washing, never had any problems relating to odors or "Suds" crashing the machine. And never had to pull THIS out of it! :eek:

Attached Files:

10. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Nail clippers??? :eek:

11. skinnylegs macrumors 65816

skinnylegs

Ahhhh. The front loading washer and dryer thread rears it's stinky head. Traded mine in for top loaders. Full immersion wash and no stink. Case closed for me.

12. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Blimey - that lot looks like the contents of a sharks stomach... (It's just missing the ubiquitous bent up licence plate.) :eek:

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Seriously I don't know why you guys over the pond have such an issue with front loaders we've had them here for 30+ years.

To the guy that just posted the picture... Empty your pockets! A simple practice!!

To everyone else once you have finished with the machine leave the door open a touch!

15. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Use a top loader for awhile and you might change your opinion of front loaders :p.

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Seriously I won't!

17. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

i haven't noticed any smell, but i will look into this when i do my laundry next time, because i let me clothes sit for awhile (depends on what im doing) but from what i can remember that has never happened to me :confused:

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hahahahahahahahahahaha at this thread and how I SO can relate.

We have a top loading washing machine and we do still have the smelly clothes problem. So we usually wash them twice for that reason.

19. VulchR macrumors 68000

VulchR

I use the 'extra rinse' setting on my machine just to make sure no detergent/fabric softener is left - this helps consoderably (Scotland is naturally damp anyway, so mildew on clothes is always an issue).

20. carlgo macrumors 68000

Use HE detergent. It says so on the bottle if it is.

Use the amount suggested.

Always leave door open when done!

Tide sells a product to clean the machine and it works, but they don't give it away. It is in the detergent section at the supermart.

It isn't the brand of machine.

I love the jet whine of my Bosch and would never go back to top load.

Miele vacuums are awesome. The only non-POS vac I ever owned. Years of perfect use so far. Not made in China.

21. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Why.... would anyone ask a question like this on a forum themed around Apple enthusiasts?

22. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Because the Smelly Sumo Wrestlers Forums don't have enough members to answer this question. Also they don't speak english.

Also, it's community discussion, for everything non Apple.

I got intelligent answers to my question - which ultimately helped me resolve the situation.

What were the odds...

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

From him? Not too good.

24. Abstract, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I haven't read through the entire thread, but:

1. Leave the front loader's door open when you're not using it. It doesn't need to be open all the way, but enough to prevent mold from growing due to old water build-up inside the machine. Mine is only open a few cm (~an inch).

2. If your clothes smell like mold, soak your clothes in a diluted combo of vinegar and warm water, and then wash them afterwards using normal detergent. Do this twice if you need to. A 2 litre container of white vinegar can cost less than $1, so it's not a big deal.

It's not necessarily your washing machine's fault, TBH. Mold can even occur when your clothes is in storage in a closet.

Washing in hot water isn't going to work if you're dealing with mold, nor is washing your clothes multiple times. Not everything in this world dies when temperatures reach 100 C. ;)

25. CeCe1 macrumors newbie

Good Smelling Machine and Clothes

OK - Here's the thing. I have had an he machine for more than 5 years. I've got HARD water. I live on the beach - lots of humidity. I don't have a problem with a stinky machine. Here's why. First of all my machine has never had any fabric softener run through it. Fabric Softener leaves a residue and is not good for your machine. Second of all I wash everything in cold water. Occasionally I will use hot water for a load of whites - that's all. I NEVER use the amount of detergent the manufacturer requests for you to use. They just want you to have to buy more than you need. ie: they make more money that way.
    Now for what I do. First - I ALWAYS for every wash throw 1/2 cup Borax inside the drum before adding the clothes. Add the clothes. Then, I use half the amount of detergent asked for in the dispenser. That way the clothes are not inundated with too much detergent that stays in the clothes. You want the detergent to wash out. Now, for the "Bleach" and "Fabric Softener" dispensers I use watered down essential oils. I use either eucalyptus or tea tree oil. This is made by mixing filtered water and the oil. I use 1 gallon filtered water with about 1/4 cup of the e.o. You have to shake it every time you use it because it is an oil and water and oil really don't mix well. Just pour enough in the dispensers that you want and close it and use COLD water. Cold water does not hold bacteria. I really have a lot more to say about that - but will just leave it at that. Wash the clothes. As soon as they are done immediately transfer to dryer and dry. Now, the important part - NEVER close the door when not in use. The vacuum seal will harbour any water left inside and cause mold and mildew.
    Since you have used the tea tree or eucalyptus e.o. - it disinfects the drum each time and hence no mildew or mold or bad odors.
    You can thank me after you have tried this for about a week and your machine and clothes smell wonderful.