Do your thumbs hurt? Plastic stylus?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lokerd, Jan 7, 2011.

1. lokerd, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011

lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

For the first 8 months of iPad usage, my laptop went to almost nothing. Lately, since getting an iPhone, my usage of both iPad and iPhone has gone off the chart as I try o get a handle of sycning and getting a system of virtual documents, calendar, etc.

Problem is my thumbs are killing me.

I got a Targus stylus, which works ok, but it makes me nervous with the top being metal.

Any try any other solutions? There are some on amazon, but poor reviews.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

Not sure why it makes you nervous. I use the stylus mainly for notes (which tend to be 4-5 pages long). At the same time I only use my thumbs a lot - the advantage of having a good glass screen doesn't require much effort from me so they don't hurt. However, while using my BlackBerry Storm 2 - my thumbs ache within 10 minutes as the screen requires a good amount of pressure every time since you have to highlight the letter and then press the screen in.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe use the devices a little less or use other fingers to type.

I think if you're using the iPad/iPhone so much that your thumbs are hurting that much, you're fingers/hand will eventually hurt from holding the stylus.

You're dealing with Repetitive Strain Issues, so no matter what you do, if you're over using the iPad, you're hand will be feeling it.

I talk from knowledge, I suffer from Carpel Tunnel, from over 20 years of working in IT and typing.

4. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Good comment. I have since decided that the source of my ache is coming from the iPhone...it is too small. I have been using it a lot since getting it, favoring to leave my iPad behind in the car when I am out and about. I haven using the iPad back more, and my fingers are much more comfortable.

Love the iphone for portability...but working on it for any length of time is going to be pretty limited.

Cheers!