Do your turn your iPads wifi off?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by steste, Nov 21, 2011.

1. steste macrumors member

Do your turn your iPads wifi off? Why? Does it make much difference to the battery life?

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Never did with iPad 1 and never do with iPad 2. Battery life is fantastic.

3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I turn it off when I'm reading something on iBooks or the nook app. I don't want notifications to bother me from Twitter, Facebook or email and the temptation to switch apps is lessened. I'm sure there's a battery life difference but I don't really pay attention to it.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Only when I know that i'll be away from a stable connection will I ever turn my WiFi off on my iPad. I do not see any noticeable difference in battery life whether it is on or off.

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Only when I am on an international flight and I want to squeeze every ounce of batter power possible from the iPad.

6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sometimes, like when I want it to charge quicker.

7. Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

If I'm out and about with my iPhone for an extended period, I do turn off wifi. Never on the iPad, though, as the battery life is fantastic.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have unlimited 3G, so very little reason to do so, unless I have to download something big.

9. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    While I'm at my office, no. But I do turn it off if I'm gaming (don't use the game center) or doing anything on my iPad that doesn't need WiFi. My iPad's turned off at night when it's being charged.

I come from a family of conservationists and my parents hounded us about turning lights off when you left a room, etc. All that nagging stuck, so I also turn off my desktop, modem and router each night. There's no need to keep them on while I'm sleeping.

After reading about energy "vampires," I bought a couple of energy efficient surge protectors with remote switches so I can power off certain electrical appliances completely.

The money I save lets me buy more apps. ;)

10. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Nope. On all the time, that way I can receive stuff.

11. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

Always ON here. Battery life on the iPad is so good that the WiFi load is irrelevant.

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

There is Airplane mode for that. A much quicker and cleaner solution.

13. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Only if I think there is a problem with the wifi connection with my router. Otherwise as long as the iPad is on, so is my wifi.

14. LaurieAnn macrumors regular

LaurieAnn

I always leave my wifi on because everything I do on my iPad requires being online.

15. pchan0 macrumors regular

pchan0

+1, always have my Wifi on, it does not seem to affect battery life at all. :cool:

16. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Yes

I turn my off at night so that my sleep is not interupted by the game notifications from friends who are up all night playing. :rolleyes:

17. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

18. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

Nope. Battery life is still great so I have no reason to

19. Skika macrumors 68030

Have you considered muting your iPad?

20. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

i have never turned off the wifi, so when im in the house its on wifi, if im out its on 3g. i only turn it off if i need it charged very fast.

21. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Sure you can, it in the Settings App.

*Edit* I thought the question was about turning the iPad off. The only time I turn WiFi off is if there is a network I don't want to join.

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No

It's mostly used with WiFi.

Not in my experience. Feel free to perform your own testing to verify.

24. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

I've had a pair of both iPads. Both my wife and I had 32g/3g iPad1s...on launch day, we bought a pair of iPad2s. She uses hers for reading, streaming music and surfing...with a few magazine (and apps associated with them) only. She decided she'd take 16gig wifi only...as with her job (with the government) she's not allowed to have an iPad with her on the job. Her iPhone does fine for tethering if she ever needs it outside of work/home. Me, on the other hand... I went for the 64g/3g. I use mine everywhere...it runs my business(es) for me. I need the extra data the 3g package affords me, as I chew up plenty with my iPhone as well. For me, I like the RPGs, the racing game, etc. Not that I EVER have a chance to build my characters up from the easy levels...just cool for those spare hours you find arbitrarily, maybe once a month:)

WOW! Sorry for the "Long Windedness"...and my introduction. But this post has me considering whether or not I should be truing mine off or not. Since day one (I was, for the first time in my life *just turned forty:), stood in line on launch day), we've both used our iPads in those ways. I've got 200 apps, she has probably a dozen. Since day one, my battery drains all day...by middle of the day, I'll be down to 75%, the end of the day, closer to 55-60%, WITHOUT any use!!! I've used both the Apple smart covers and currently a "Marware" case with the magnets inside of it. It definitely (like the smart covers) turns the iPad on/off when opened/closed...however, the drain continues. My wife's on the other hand...as well as my two previous iPad 1s didn't exhibit this behavior. Initially, I didn't do anything about it, because it wasn't possible to exchange it in a reasonable turnaround...and I bought the two year Wal Mart protection plan, for $99 which included the accidental protection.

Again..sorry for the length of the post, but I just thought about the WiFi and whether or not that could be a possibility. Seems none of you are affected by it.

BTW...I'm kind of unaffected, for now...by my drain. It's still half charged at the end of the day and it doesn't seem to "excessively" drain while in use...so with the ability to charge every night...and/or turn off when not in use, I'm fine. However...a new Apple store just opened in Alaska. I may set up one of those genius appointments:)

Is anyone else having this issue? I've done everything from app closure to location services off (can't do that though, if you want to use the "Find My" feature), etc...not sure what to make of it...or if it's just the way it is? I've not had the battery issues with either my wife or I's iPhone 4 (originals) or my new 4s either...just this iPad!

I was excited to see this thread...Hoping there were going to be 17 replies saying, "YES!!! That completely eliminated my battery drain issue when not in use:)"

J

25. steste thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies.

I had got into the habit of switching my phones wiFi off when out and about to conservere battery and just carried on doing with my Ipad when I got it.

BAsed on your replies I have stopped switching it off and it seems the effect on battery is minimal. Thanks all.