Do yourself a favor - get a screen protector!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Captainobvvious, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

I was dead against using even a clear shield over the screen when I got my iPhone 4 Wednesday. I have been babying this thing, wiping it with a microfiber cloth frequently and even resting it on top of one when I put it on a surface. It is alone in my pocket with no keys or even a wallet

I was inspecting it today and notice a tiny scratch on the back when brightly lit. I took such good care of it and it still scratched. The back is certainly scratch prone.

I bought a wrapsol. No idea if it is the best option but I needed something. Get a screen guard before you get a scratch. This tiny flaw is going to be all I notice from now on.

2. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

Looks like I'll be getting a protector for the back but not the front when I get mine. Either that or a black bumper...

3. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I will do the same.

I bate the feeling of the shields when on the touchscreen. Maybe I will leave the front naked.

4. dojoman macrumors 65816

You don't need it for the front. My 3GS had NO screen protector since day 1, still no scratch. I'm even still not convinced for the back whether it's scratch prone. Go to any Apple stores and look at demo iPhone 4 they have and take a look at the back. I find 0 iPhone with scratch back or front and they are demo units that people have been playing around constantly.

5. Despacio macrumors member

Careful, people are going to come post in here and say your either a troll, tell you next time don't scratch it, demand pictures, say take it back if your not happy, indirectly say your irresponsible, compare your predicament to theirs in which they claim there phone is perfect after one whole week, etc. etc. etc.

I ordered the Wrapsol myself but have yet to receive that or my iPhone. I was hoping to just use the Wrapsol, but after all the stories of cracked iPhones when falling from normal distances, I think a case at this point may be necessary. I also wouldn't worry about the scratch too much, over time you'll probably find yourself less prone to babying the thing and falling into the groove of just using the thing freely (though not carelessly). That's how it usually is for me.

6. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Are they any protectors for the back? I don't want a case (besides the bumper) so I'd like some thin plastic like a screen protector but for the back.

7. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I took mine out of the box and put an Invisible Shield on. I also have some Phantom Skins coming because I want to try those as well. I never go unprotected.

;)

With that being said, who really cares, it just adds character.

8. onemacmini macrumors 6502

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Yes

10. Captainobvvious thread starter macrumors 6502

Followup:

I had it looked at by some people who have better eyesight than myself and they don't think its a scratch, they think its a defect under the glass.

It is VERY small and almost invisible unless you're looking for it... It is however right in the middle of the back of the phone.

Would you ask for a replacement or would you deal with it? I don't know if i am too OCD about stuff like this.

It looks like a small spec that is shiny like the Apple logo and is only visible at an angle.

11. TrojanCMH macrumors newbie

Do what makes you happy. But yes being worried about a little blemish that you can't see unless you have a magnifying glass is a little much in my opinion.

12. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's not totally fair but you can still go to the Apple Store and say your proximity sensor is malfunctioning, or that you have got with the antennas. As I said, it's not totally fair but you will not harm anyone with it and you will be happy again since you'll get a replacement. It will only cost Apple a few more dollars, but they can take that. It's not like you will ruin someones live by one replacement.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Lets see, I unboxed, threw it on my desk, walked around with keys/change in the same pocket for almost a week and have had it make two suicide attempts off my windowsill and....no scratches. I'll keep mine looking good as is, I feel sorry for everyone who feels the need to put a case on their phones.