DOA Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nick42983, Aug 26, 2013.

1. nick42983 macrumors 6502

May 18, 2009
    Just picked up my Macbook Air about 10 days ago. Didn't have time to open it so waited until the weekend. Unboxed it, pressed the power button...nothing! I charged it overnight, pressed the power button...nope.

Took it back to the campus Apple reseller. The tech tried turning it on, nothing, DOA. Got a new one which works beautifully. I hope I'm just really, really lucky to have had a brand new machine arrive DOA. As an Apple shareholder this shook my confidence more than any of the hyped "Apple is doomed" stories did.

Anyone else ever get a brand-new Mac product that was DOA?
  2. calvol macrumors 6502a

Feb 3, 2011
    I bought a 2010 Macbook Pro 15" and it died within a week. Had 3 beeps, which I believe is bad memory. Took it back for a refund. Turned out, that model year was a bad year for logic board failures, and glad I returned it and didn't replace it.
  3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    United States of America
    Same here...2010 15" MacBook Pro with logic board failure. Had it replaced without question and never had a problem again.
  4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

May 1, 2009
    i don't understand this attitude. electronics break, it happens. why would this "shake your confidence?"
    of course you got unlucky. do you see a tremendous number of people getting "doa" laptops?
  5. squeeks macrumors 68040

Jun 19, 2007
    ive had mac computers for about 8 years the only issue ive ever had was the defective geforce card recall on the first generation Santa rosa macbook pros
  6. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    It is unusual, though I'm glad you got it replaced quickly and easily.

I think DOA machines are rare but it does suck when it occurs.
  7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    I've had just one device ( an ATV ) that was DOA....all my other Mac's, iPads, and phones have been were just unlucky.
  8. MacPoulet macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2012
    Had a G3 iBook that was DOA with a bad logic boards. Took two weeks for Apple to send the reseller a replacement board (they were on backorder).

Funny thing is I worked for the reseller at the time. No special treatment for employees (though we did get one machine per year at cost).