DOA MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rick3000, Jun 28, 2009.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

New MBP arrived Friday, it will be returned Monday for a replacement. They need to work on their quality control. This MBP was Dead On Arrival, my 5 year old eMac and iBook still work though.
    I am getting really pissed about this. I was reasonable yesterday, but when I called to get an update today, I got told to keep waiting. I waited six months for a MBP update, a week to get it from China, now they want me to wait another week.
    I think I am going to call and demand free AppleCare for the inconvenience. I still love Apple and their products, but they don't need to know that. Especially, if I can free AppleCare out of this deal.

What do you guys think?
    Has anyone else's MBP been DOA?
    Did Apple compensate you for the inconvenience with anything?
    Thanks!

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Yes. Apple quality control has bee bad lately. Just got my new 15" MBP and it had some crud behind the LCD screen. Got it replaced without too much incident at the Apple store, but it was annoying. Have also had a MBP that developed a bad thermal sensor, a 13" MB that stopped charging after 1 week, and my mom's white macbook has eaten 2 hard drives. Now you know why the refurbs are plentiful.

3. maestrocasa macrumors regular

That's totally lame. I've never received anything DOA. Not sure how it even happens. Aren't they all 'test fired' before shipping?

I would ask for the apple care. I don't know if they'll do it, but it never hurts to ask.

I just received a replacement MBP (june 09) after my 2007 MBP had it's 5th major repair. Apple Care was very supportive and helpful in getting the 07 repaired, and then replacing it when I'd had enough.

Good luck. Usually they are good about customer service (in my experience)

4. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

That's what I was thinking. And it did startup, but kept closing apps, and all sorts of quirky stuff. The geniuses conclusion was the RAM is bad and the HD might be bad as well.

5. MacCurry macrumors 6502

An Apple BTO computer is shipped as a single unit from overseas (China), from what I've seen the individual Apple laptops are packed reasonably well, but it is a single unit and could very easily been dropped a number of times by the time you get it. If you order a standard configuration, it most likely is packed together with several units in a larger box and then many boxes on a shipping pallet and then when arrived in the US, the large boxes are taken off the pallet and sent to the retailer. The probability of it being dropped i n this instance exists, but I believe it is a lower probability.

I received my 13" MacBook Pro from Amazon.com and it arrived perfectly. Amazon's external shipping box was lousy at best, but they probably recieved it intact and my good fortune of not having it dropped by UPS.

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Not sure how it happens???

Testing firing before shipping only insures it worked prior to the shipper taking possession of it. Maybe the delivery people are playing box catch and it gets dropped? :confused: Anything can happen in transit.

How many people handled that box from the time it left Apple to the time it arrived at your door?

We've never received anything DOA. Of course we've never "received" anything. We always pick them up at the Apple Store and even then we open them up and test them prior to leaving.

7. Jsimon9633 macrumors regular

Yeah their quality control must not be what it used to be.

I just received a Refurb 15 inch that was DOA. The backlight seemed to not work at all. I guess shipping could cause that.

Who knows.

I also received an Air with the Led bleeding all over the place.

8. motownflip macrumors regular

poop happens. Apple will take care of it, not sure about giving you something free. That just depends on how good you can complain....