DOA or am I doing something wrong..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by silveradoman01, Aug 11, 2010.

1. silveradoman01 macrumors member

So I was excited since the quad g5 I bought on ebay arrived today as well as my 30" monitor from apple. Get it all set up. Get used to this big brute of a monitor. Press the power button on the powermac, it makes its ding, then the monitor shows a question mark inside a file, then flashes to the finder face guy, then back to a question mark. Needless to say im disappointed. But am loving the 30" display on my macbook pro, I dont even have it at full resolution and its awesome. But The powermac has two HDD's. one a 500 gig and one is a 150 gig. Is it possible it is trying to find an OS on the wrong one. Or will it search both of them? Thanks again.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It will search both hard drives for a operating system. It sounds like there isn't one installed. If you have a copy of Leopard try booting from that.

3. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

Seller claimed it was supposed to have 10.5, I remember I had a mac do this and it turned out the HDD was blown. But its not likely 2 HDD's are blown? Is it? Unless UPS dropped it or something. I have a snow leopard but not a regular leopard. Guess I have to wait for the seller to respond. But hey I would be just as happy with a refund as I would go buy a Mini then.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

He may have only installed Leopard on one of the hard drives and this hard drive is dead now due to shipping. If you have a version of PPC Tiger you could try booting from it.

5. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

How do I let it know theres a disc in there? I put the disc in, reset it, and I hear the drive working, but nothing happens. I found my old leopard 10.5. That should work. :confused:

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Press the alt key right after it makes the chime and select the Leopard DvD or hold down the C key to boot from an optical disc.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Try disconnecting both the power and data on both the hard drives and reconnect them. They probably jiggled loose during shipment.

**Jealous of the 30"** :p

**edit**
    Is that Leopard a Retail (black label) DVD? Or is it the disc from your Macbook Pro? If it's the latter, it won't work. :)

8. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

awesome, thanks for the help.

9. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

Its the one that I bought for my old intel imac a while back to upgrade it from tiger. I gave the one from my macbook to the new owner. The only other disc I have is a snow leopard that came with my new I7 macbook and im sure that wont work. and LOL im loving the 30" ACD, even at the lower resolution running off my macbook its amazing.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's a Leopard re-installation DvD it'll still boot the Power Mac, but he can't install using it.

11. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

Never mind. I fixed it. I opened it up to un hook and re hook the HDD, and found one of them unplugged. Plugged it back in and Its up and running, thanks again guys!!!!

12. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

New question. Im going to reuse this thread instead of making a new one. When I turn it on I dont get the bar at the bottom. Is there a way to make that appear and go away? Or is something not loading?

13. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What you you mean by bar at the bottom? The Dock?

14. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

lol yes the dock. Its not coming up.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Press Command-Alt-D it should make the Dock unhide.

16. silveradoman01 thread starter macrumors member

ok learning here. I got that too. I didn't realize you could hide it.

17. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Thought so :p Glad you found that out. Usually happens after asking for help ;)