DOA ram from newegg/returning

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2056, Nov 5, 2008.

1. 2056 macrumors 6502

so, i found a wonderful deal on newegg and happily purchased 4 gb of ram for my imac.
    i received the package within a couple of days, they always have lightning fast shipping compared to other online stores.
    the ram was dead on arrival. :(
    i've never returned anything to newegg so i was kind of annoyed i'd have to pay for the shipping, or maybe i'm just cheap.
    it's supposed to take 3-5 business days before they send you an email about the return.
    this was october 19 and i havent heard anything. i've contacted newegg twice and they seem to be blowing me off.
    the first representative i spoke with said that they just received a truck of returns and it's probably on the truck, i should get some kind of confirmation e-mail within the next couple of days.
    that came and went so i called them another few days later and the representative told me it would be expedited for me. it's been 4 business days since that call.
    i also asked if i could just cancel the return and get my money back, and the representative assured me that i could not.

has anyone ever had a horrible experience with a newegg return?

if i'd known it would have been this long to receive my ram i definately would have went with getting my money back in the first place and paying double at best buy.

2. Semiopaque macrumors regular

That's a bit odd. I had some problems with a new PC I was building and couldn't figure out if it was the motherboard or the processor I just got from them that was the issue. I returned both, motherboard for refund and processor for replacement. They sent me an email (within hours after I called) with UPS info to print and attach to the boxes, I repacked and sent everything back. Got the replacement processor less than a week after I returned it.

Did they send you an email for printing out the UPS information? If so, and you still have it, you might be able to track the package from the UPS website to see when they received it.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    NEVER had a problem with NewEgg-ever, been buying from them for years. How rural are you can add days getting out of your state and vica-versa.
    Since switching, have bought RAM as well as Hard drives from OWC, I am VERY impressed with them and will buy all my Mac needs from them. Their customer service is outstanding, especially my dealings with "David" is CS.

4. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i received the email about the ups information. according to ups.com they had received the package on the 22nd. since that time i have not been contacted by newegg.

5. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

i just called them for a third time and pretty much got the same thing. newegg is supposedly "looking into my issue" and have been since the 22nd of October..hmm. very upsetting.
    so, i asked to get a refund a second time and the representative i spoke with said that I could.
    oh well.
    looks like i'll be purchasing my ram elsewhere.

6. Semiopaque macrumors regular

That's too bad. I've had really good experiences with them, even recently.

On a related note, though, I did just order some RAM from them the other day. Everything else I've purchased was sent via UPS. This was sent via DHL who in turn dropped it off with the US Postal service. Can't say I'm super excited about that.

I'm about 20 miles from where they normally ship so UPS gets to me the day after I order. Postal Service....er....not so much, plus it isn't trackable once it gets in their hands from what I can tell. Admittedly, I did pick the cheapest shipping for $4 hehe. Will let you know how it goes.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

Well, we have to save where we can these days. ;) :p

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I've had to return a few different parts throughout my relationship with Newegg, but they've always been good about getting a replacement shipped. The only part that sucks is having to pay for return shipping.

It's always a shame to hear about these horror stories, though. I suppose it happens to everyone... but don't let it dissuade you. Newegg is typically the best place to get stuff; albeit OWC is probably better at customer service.

9. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Quick update, the RAM I ordered arrived today so for $4 really only took an extra day to arrive than the UPS way I'm used to from them.

Gotta admit the packaging on the RAM was well below the packaging I've received on other items I've ordered from NewEgg (blister pack was in big bubblewrap kinda envelop, but that could be due to the cheapo method of shipping I chose). Did the job, though and the RAM looked fine - just popped it in my MacPro and works like a charm.

Now I'm waiting for my hard drives I ordered yesterday from them and Leopard OS (yeah, still running Tiger on my MacPro heh).

For the record, I just checked the timeframe on my last refund from NewEgg. I called on 10/27, shipped it to them on 10/28, they received it on 10/29 and issued the refund to my card on 10/31. That's pretty good.

I'd be interested in how long it takes them to refund your money if they have agreed to it especially since it sounds like they lost the product (kind of assuming that I guess).

10. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow, i wish my transaction was that smooth
    i will definately keep you all updated on how long this refund takes.

i hope bestbuy has a decent deal on a 4gb kit.

11. 2056 thread starter macrumors 6502

my last post was on the 8th and i hadnt heard from newegg for a couple of days so i decided to contact them AGAIN on Nov 12. the representative asked me for a tracking number because she did not show that i had sent in the ram for the refund.
    after a few moments of researching this information she informed me that she would email me within the hour before they closed for the day.

i waited and finally received an email confirmation from the rep that my refund would come within the next few days and that I would also receive 25.00 off my next purchase. at least they're trying to make it right.

it's the 14th, almost an entire month since i sent in the return to newegg, but i have my refund now!

12. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I can vouch for newegg. They have great customer service. You just have to know what to say. Amazon is usually pretty good too.

13. Semiopaque macrumors regular

I just had a small problem w/ them the other day but I have to say they have been one of the easiest for me to work with. I ordered three hard drives and a copy of OS Leopard, hard drives arrived but the software did not (it was on the packing list).

I called and asked for a refund since I was now going to have to go to a local store to buy the disk. They agreed, this was on Thursday. I called again yesterday to check on it and the refund was in process. I asked the amount and it was the cost of the software but not the tax. They then processed the tax refund for me too. Hopefully will get the refund within the week.

Definitely not the best experience in the world, but certainly better than most and for the prices at Newegg, worth it. I order alot of stuff from them so a minor slightly annoying experience isn't going to put me off.

I think alot of it comes down to the luck of the draw on who answers the phone when you call. Like anywhere else, some of the representatives know what they are doing and some don't so it pays to follow-up in a few days just in like (like with my sales tax refund). It's also coming up on the holiday season so they may be busy and also may have new people working there.

Hope you get your refund soon.

14. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Are you in California? They don't have tax with any other state except New York, New Jersey, and Tennessee as far as I know.

15. Semiopaque macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm about 15 miles from their facility in Whittier, CA. No tax in most states could be a good explanation why they didn't think to refund the tax to me automatically.

The good thing is, almost anything they ship to me from Whittier gets here the next day. Even items I've gotten from Tennesee usually only take a few of days. I've only had one case where I ordered before noon PST and they didn't get the items out the same day (I haven't used their priority handling for $2.99 or whatever it is ever either).