DOA Refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by findwaldonow, Jun 16, 2009.

1. findwaldonow macrumors member

Since I've only ever heard good things about buying Apple refurbished products, I wanted to post my experience from today for a counterpoint.

I received a refurbished MacBook Pro this morning, the late '08 2.53 model for $1449, a great deal. The box was white, not the brown one I had expected from videos I'd seen. I opened it up and it was packaged nicely, a long thin sheath box with all of the accessories and the machine was held in foam and nicely wrapped in sealed plastic, though I noticed that there was a small amount of dust or dirt inside of the plastic, there were no scratches from it so it was no big deal. When I booted it up everything seemed to be normal and as I clicked my language options and the like I was inspecting and admiring the screen. It soon asked for my wireless info and I typed my password which came back invalid 3 times. I knew what my password was so I was confused until I realized that as I typed, one of the characters wasn't causing an asterisk/dot to appear in the password field. I soon discovered that an entire diagonal section of keys wouldn't work: 3, E, D, and C at the very least. I called AppleCare and the woman was trying to get me to reinstall OSX, but I couldn't hold C to boot from the disk. I later was able to reinstall the OS from the desktop but no go.

Apple was very helpful and my replacement machine was thankfully still in stock in the refurb store and will be 1 day shipped at no cost. I got the return shipping label very quickly and printed it out and thought that was an easy process. I just wanted to give a counter example to people who say, "Refurbs are even more likely to be good than new products given the rigorous inspections." Yes, I'm satisfied with the help I've received thus far and look forward to my new machine but seriously, rigorous testing and keys on the keyboard are dead? Kind of a big deal and also kind of easy to find in even the simplest of tests.

2. Jonzo macrumors newbie

I have ordered 3 refurbs, and know many people that have too. Every story I've heard has been nothing but good. You just got a bad apple, pun intended. It probably will not happen again to you.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Very strange indeed. They're supposed to be in brown boxes that say clearly Apple Reconditioned Product, not white boxes. Sounds almost like someone shipped you out the wrong box somehow, or tried to slip you a return from someone else, not a refurb... sometimes people make mistakes. I doubt highly your machine was an actual refurb, because it would have never passed the recertification process. This is really an odd one story. Anyway, I'm glad Apple is taking care of it for you...

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

it's the risk you take for going refurb, but i'm glad they are sending a replacement so quickly.

5. Feng Shui macrumors regular

I got my iMac in a white box, so I guess they're low on brown ones.

6. lunari macrumors member

lunari

My late 08 refurb MBP also came in a white box. It probably has something to do with how they are trying to reduce waste by using smaller boxes (or something).

7. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

"Apple Certified Reconditioned Product" was on the label on the box and though it was white it was not the new Macbook Pro box but just plain white and not glossy at all. It was also packed differently, without the molded packaging but with block-foam cut to fit and placed on the ends with the notebook suspended accross the middle and the sleeve box had ends cut into the foam for it and was suspended an inch or two above the notebook and was flush with the top of the box. I believe it also said "Apple Certified Reconditioned Product" on the accessory box and on the seal of the plastic holding the notebook. I'm convinced they may have just recently changed their refurb packaging but like you, can't conceive of a problem like this passing any kind of inspection nor a scenario where it was fine when it left and somehow started during shipping or in my kitchen. It's just weird.

8. Pogue Mahone macrumors newbie

I got mine today! 15'' Refurb MacBook Pro.. I've been using it since the morning and it's been great until now - Love it.

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I bought a 17" macbook pro refurbished (returned it for the new one in my sig) and it came in a white box in perfect condition.

10. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry this happened to you, but I am glad that in the end everything turned out ok, even if it took longer than expected and you had to make phone calls, etc.

Refurbished macs are such a great deal right now. The 15" unibody for 1349 is just screaming my name.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The MBPs are definitely white boxes now. They are clearly identified are refurbs but looks like plain brown boxes are now plain white boxes.

Cheers,

12. STITCHES macrumors member

Hope I don't have the same experience. My refurb. is the same spec and should be coming in the next day or two, followed by my new iPhone.:D

13. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Just be thankful you're not haggling with some ebayer right now over the piece of crap he sold you.

All is well my friend.

14. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Ive ordered 4 computers as refurbs from mac directly (2 minMacs, one 15" mbp, and one 17" MBP, also a wireless keyboard, three mouses:D (mice) and two airports (one wall mount, one reg). Im prol forgeting somthing else.

They treat EVERY item as if it were store bought directly. Worth the savings, because they have been known to throw in a bone or two (my 120G 15" MBP came with a 160G hd - and my 17" MBP was less than a month old!!!). Neither had ANY dead pixels as well. Ive heard of MANY stories of refurb "upgrades" too. You cant guarantee it though.

Fortunatly I havent had to test it but Apple treats their refurbs just like the new MCcoy. At least for the first year. Buy Apple Care for your refurb, and enjoy THREE years of warranty!

These (refurbed) old toys need love too! - And most of them are newer than what you could buy in ANY store!

If you are serious about buying a refurb, Just be quick when on their refurb page because the macs you see could be gone by the time you buy. What you see on their page is the only one they have at the time (typ).

15. wesrk macrumors 6502a

you know what, you're absolutely right. I've always thought the deals were awesome and this and that, but this is a point that I've never really considered. Another point to buy refurbished macs. I'm getting the previous unibody 15" in about a week.

16. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I think the customer service has been every bit as good as if I had bought the thing in a store. The deal is amazing and I'm more than happy to wait another two days for a $1000 discount off of what the same machine would have cost a few months ago. If this replacement shows up in good order (knock on wood) I'm still a very happy customer.

17. djarpit macrumors regular

you think it will still mark off?

18. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Paired with AppleCare there really isn't any risk.

When I got my refurb mbp, i had to send it back shortly due to a faulty Airport card. apple offered to send me a BRAND new one as a replacement. They wanted to apparently tear my old one apart and figure out why it quit working. Of course I obliged/ :cool:

:apple:

19. iSavant macrumors regular

I'm on the same refurb 15" 2.53 late '08 uMBP

What a great deal at $1449

I'm a happy boy, ha ha ha
    :D

OP: Sorry this happened, but it will get sorted and I hope you like yours as much as I am mine!

20. Mezzanine224 macrumors member

My 15"/2.53/4GB arrived with some horizontal pixel glitches. So they refunded me nearly $100 and overnighted me a new one. Hope you got a refund too. Because a $1349 computer is $100 better in my book.

21. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Looks like Apple need to add another checkbox to their umpteen-point refurb inspection process:

- Press the C key.

My refurb MBP came in a white box too. White must be the new brown.

22. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

I know, right? You know you got a good one when you push buttons on it and things happen.

23. Hoo03 macrumors regular

I ordered the same spec MBP couple days ago and it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your story and I'm glad that Apple is sending you a replacement computer right away.

24. findwaldonow thread starter macrumors member

2 DOA Refurbs in a row

So, I sent back the first refurbished MacBook Pro I bought and got this new one, which is also going back. I loved everything about this new one except I noticed that the computer consumes way too much power in sleep mode; drains it to zero overnight in fact. Before you guys start troubleshooting the problem let me say that I did calibrate the battery, twice. When using the laptop to drain the battery to calibrate it the battery life was pretty good. However, I read that when the computer gets low on power that it will go to sleep and then you're supposed to allow it to sleep until the battery is drained. Mine just plain shut down. After calibration when in sleep overnight the battery would drain to zero and I couldn't turn on the machine until I plugged in the power source. I checked console: no activity between going to sleep and morning. No devices plugged in any ports and I don't use any bluetooth devices. Coconut battery, About this Mac, and a test at the Apple Store showed that the battery itself was only 9 cycles in and healthy. The Genius I spoke with there told me that they'd need to keep it overnight to reproduce the problem but he guessed there was something going on with the hardware and how it's using power. At that point I said there's no way I'm repairing a machine I got a week ago and now I'm returning this one.

So to recap, I've already returned one Refurbished 2.53 late '08 MacBook Pro for having keys that don't function. Now, I initiated a return for this new machine two days ago and though the return was very smooth for the first one I haven't gotten my shipping labels e-mailed to me yet, (said it should happen within 24 hours) I called again yesterday afternoon asking what the deal with the shipping label was and they said they'd send it again (again, within 24 hours). I'm pushing hour 22, no label. I have become intimately familiar with Apple's customer service by this point and have spent untold hours on hold, and talking to people. I'll be calling again in a couple hours. Customer service hasn't been too bad so far but overall I've had an utterly miserable experience buying my computer.

Edit: sorry for posting the same thing in two threads, this one's clearly the more appropriate one but I couldn't find it at first. Discussion here!