.doc Attachment Problem (Urgent Please Help)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markfc, Sep 10, 2007.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

I've been sent a file that I need for an interview this afternoon.

It arrived in Mail and an attachment called 'noname' I'm pretty sure It's a Mac word doc but renaming it to .doc and opening i get this ;

--Apple-Mail-78-666586247
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Type: application/applefile;
    name=2007 VFA.doc
    Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="2007 VFA.doc"

AAUWBwACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMAAAAJAAAAPgAAAAoAAAADAAAASAAAAAwAAAACAAAA
    VAAAAR5XOEJOTVNXRAAAMjAwNyBWRkEuZG9jAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAHgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AQAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAB4BU+FMCjUAAAAcAB7//w==

--Apple-Mail-78-666586247
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
    x-mac-type=5738424E;
    x-unix-mode=0777;
    x-mac-creator=4D535744;
    name=2007 VFA.doc
    Content-Disposition: attachment;
    filename="2007 VFA.doc"

0M8R4KGxGuEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPgADAP7/CQAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAiQMAAAAAAAAA
    EAAAiwMAAAEAAAD+////AAAAAIEDAACCAwAAgwMAAIQDAACFAwAAhgMAAIcDAACIAwAA////////
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////s
    pcEAi2EJBAAA+BK/AAAAAAABEQABAAEABgAATRwAAA4AamJqYjHDMcMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAJBBYAqYQDAFuhAABboQAASBYAAAAAAAAEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD//w8AAAAA
    AAAAAAD//w8AAAAAAAAAAAD//w8AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIgAAAAAAAQEAAAAAAAABAQAAAQE
    AAAAAAAABAQAAAAAAAAEBAAAAAAAAAQEAAAAAAAABAQAABQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKIEAAAAAAAAqioA
    AAAAAACqKgAAAAAAAKoqAAA4AAAA4ioAAFwAAAA+KwAATAAAAKIEAAAAAAAA9TMAAHQBAACWKwAA
    tAEAAEotAAAAAAAASi0AAAAAAABKLQAAAAAAAEotAAAAAAAARDIAAAAAAABEMgAAAAAAAEQyAAAA
    AAAAbDMAAAIAAABuMwAAAAAAAG4zAAAAAAAAbjMAAAAAAABuMwAAAAAAAG4zAAAAAAAAbjMAACwA
    AABpNQAAUgIAALs3AABUAAAAmjMAABUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAQAAAAAAABEMgAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACmMQAAfAAAACIyAAAiAAAARDIAAAAAAABEMgAAAAAAAJozAAAAAAAA

Plus a lot more ascii! How can I open it???

Many Thanks

2. garethlewis2 macrumors 6502

You seem to have saved the entire message including the attachment as a .doc file. How did you save the attachment in the first place?

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's likely you could use OpenOffice, NeoOffice, Pages, or even TextEdit to open it since it appears to be an MS Office document.

4. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

It was forwarded to me like this, and I can't get to speak to the person until later today which will be too late then!!

I have word, both mac and Windows version but they don't want to touch it.

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Email attachments get encoded as non-standard binary files (I believe they are 7 bit or some weirdness like that since the email system is so ancient) which then gets turned back into a regular 8 bit file by the receiver's email client software. I think for some reason this file was either not unencoded somewhere along the way, or was sent with corrupt encoding. Try a base 64 decoder like Decoder X.

Note: I really have very little idea what I'm talking about here, I'm just giving you my best guess because you're desperate.

edit: Well whadda ya know, I do know what I'm talking about after all.

edit 2:

1. download decoder
    2. drag and drop the problem file onto it
    3. open the resulting .doc file in a word processor

Tell us if that worked.

6. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

Cheers Mate, you're a Star!

That worked.

Thanks very much for your time, much appreciated.