Dock [4766] errors in Console - what is this all about??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jon08, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jon08 macrumors 65816

A lot of these errors keep "polluting" my Console daily. I've reset Dock, but nothing changes.

What are these msgs all about? I've had these for long time (possibly even in Leopard - I don't remember exactly) and would be glad if someone could provide a solution for how to get rid of them

Please see the attachment.

Attached Files:

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

It seems that Core Graphics is attempting some sort of graphics transform using the zero matrix, which is singular (ie, non-invertible). Are you using a 2D or a 3D dock? Do you have any Dock icon whose appearance changes, or which is "unusual"?

You might try this:

1) Make a screen shot, or in some manner, keep an image of your Dock for future reference.

2) Move the file named com.apple.dock.plist from ~/Library/Preferences to your Desktop, where ~ denotes your Home folder.

3) Open Terminal (in Utilities) and type

killall Dock

If the console messages cease, trash the file you moved to Desktop. If not, you may as well put it back and then redo the killall Dock command.

3. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

It didn't help...

Now the com.apple.Dock.agent number is [8537], while it previously was [4766]..... weird.

4. LPZ macrumors 65816

That's just the process number, which is irrelevant. It could help if you answer the questions from my previous post.

5. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, sorry about that.. I don't know if I have any unusual icons in my dock... what would that be?

I do have some custom icons though, but don't know if that would affect anything?

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK, I'm assuming you have the 3D dock. Do you have any dock icons that update their appearance using real-time info? I think Activity Monitor might have such an icon, for example. You have custom icons in your dock? Maybe try removing such dock icons one at a time; probably you should use the killall Dock after each removal.

7. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, I do have 3D dock. Here's a screenshot of it:

Attached Files:

8. LPZ macrumors 65816

OK, the problem is too many dock items! Just kidding.

Does the one that's ninth from the right end (looks like an imac with red vertical bars) change? Do the heights of the bars change? What is it, anyway? How about the "cask" next to the trash? Does that sometimes appear empty as well as full. I can't see it very well.

Maybe post your most recent console warning too.

[EDIT] The following process apparently worked for someone. I forgot about that .db file.

9. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

The iMac one is Parallels icon... :) No, the icon remains the same when Parallels is off.

The icon next to the trash bin is AppDelete. It remains the same all the time.

Here's a snapshot of my Console from a couple of mins ago:

Attached Files:

10. LPZ macrumors 65816

Thanks. Well, another question, though I'm running out of ideas---are you using Spaces, assigning certain apps to certain Spaces?

Maybe someone else has ideas to try? :)

11. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I use Expose only...

I appreciate your help anyway! Anyone else got some ideas?

12. LPZ macrumors 65816

You could try temporarily moving

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db

to your Desktop and then doing killall Dock, just in case that file is causing the problem. If not, you can move it back.

13. jon08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Same difference. :/

Here's a screenshot:

Attached Files:

14. LPZ macrumors 65816

Well, at some point you may have to resort to the "clean start" approach quoted in Post #8. Good luck. I'll try to follow this thread in case someone else knows the fix.