Dock acting up..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bolteh, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Bolteh macrumors regular

For some unknown reason, the background of my dock disappeared and the items in Stacks don't show up (just the background (see screenshot below)) but are still functional.

I tried rebooting and "killall Dock" in terminal, but nothing seems to work.

I once tried a thingy that makes the dock lighter or whatever, but that was a month ago and I removed it instantly (as it sucked). I also have custom indicators (the black arrows) installed, but for a bigger Dock only (ugly when it's small). But that was all weeks/months ago and in that time, the dock never failed working..

Come to think of it, this might have happend with the latest security update which I installed monday or so.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

2. efcjoe macrumors newbie

Same thing happens to me sometimes. Normally when I wake up from sleep but not always (so I don't know what triggers it). Rebooting has always worked for me though.

Joe

3. rhyndu macrumors regular

Try adding or removing some icons.

(there is also always that grey disk that says "Original Tiger System Reinstall" :))

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Oh, so this problem defiantly isn't limited to my computer then.

It might be the model stilll...

what computer are you using? I'm a 2.4 GHz 24" 2007 iMac.

Edit: I never used any of the modifications for the dock. So they have nothing to do with it. And I had it happen before the update, so that has nothing to do with it either.

5. efcjoe macrumors newbie

I'm on a 20" 2GHz 2007 iMac so it shouldn't be the model. I don't know what it is :confused:.

6. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Happens to me too, when waking up from sleep. I think it's a bug.

7. AfroZ macrumors newbie

The same thing is happening to me. Twice this week so far. Always when it wakes from sleep. Otherwise everything works fine. A reboot clears it up.

I have a 24" Alu iMac. Could this be related to the video driver fix from a few weeks ago? If only Alu iMacs are having this issue it may be related I think.

8. Nick12945 macrumors regular

I'm using the 2.4 Ghz iMac and this also happens to me too. You don't need to restart though. A log off should suffice.

9. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I have never seen this Maybe it will be fixed in the next update.

10. Nick12945 macrumors regular

11. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I have a 20" Core Duo iMac (purchased in August 2006), but have not experienced the same issue, but then again I don't sleep my iMac either. Try setting your iMac to stay awake, just sleep the display, and see if that alleviates the symptoms.

HawaiiMacAddict

12. rhyndu macrumors regular

Have you discovered how to fix it on your computer yet?

How do you resolve the issue?

The OP can't even fix it with a restart. Maybe a different problem?

I'm confused!:confused:

13. AfroZ macrumors newbie

Did anyone post this over at the official Apple forums? Just want to make sure they're aware of the problem.

FYI, I turned off the auto sleep and haven't had this happen since. But I'd like to be able to sleep the machine eventually. :p

14. thesdx macrumors 6502a

This happens to me whenever I'm in iMovie, Photoshop, or any other graphic-intensive application.

15. rhyndu macrumors regular

How do ya fix it?

16. Gentile macrumors regular

Gentile

Same thing is happening to me on my 24" iMac. I was using iMovie and the computer went to sleep. I tried to kill the dock in terminal, but my dock did not return.

Any solutions other than rebooting? Temporarily I have to use the finder to launch applications.