Dock alternatives

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by taelan28, Aug 17, 2014.

1. taelan28 macrumors regular

I dont like the dock. The 3D effect on bottom positioning, the wasted space on the sides. I long for a windows task bar, or something other than this darn dock.

Options?

*I usually put it on the left side in 2D.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i've NEVER used the dock (always seemed intrusive on a 13" macbook pro). for a long time, i used a custom prefpane called "dock gone". now, in mavericks, just this:

defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 9999999; killall Dock

it hides the dock for a long time (9999999 seconds); if i need to see the dock, i hit Command-Option-D, same to hide it again. (you can always redo the command with a small number to bring back the original hide length).

i use launchpad to open apps (or spotlight search); mail unread menu gives me a menu icon when there's new mail. Command-Tab to scroll thru open apps...

and i work 'semi-fullscreen' in most apps (i.e. window dragged up to the menubar...so that THAT is always visible).

not for everyone, but works for me...

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

And does that take up less space then the Dock on the left side?
    Especially if you turn on Dock hiding.

4. taelan28 thread starter macrumors regular

I discovered uBar by not being a lazy punk and searching the forums. This dude speaks my design language. Didnt DL it yet, and if I love it I may buy it.

5. taelan28, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

taelan28 thread starter macrumors regular

cdock is screwing everything up. I was toying with it adding 5 "dock spacers" and now I cant get rid of them even though the value is 0.

Ah I figured it out. The spacer IS an icon. Once it there the dock and cdock recognize it as an icon. I need to manually drag it off the dock.

Edit 3: Ok this Cdock is pretty bunk. I cycle through all the themes and all I ever get is the same 3D dock. 10.8? Same. Dark? Same. Pink? Same.

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares