Dock Appearance is Now an Option in 10.5.2!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Dec 22, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

In 10.5.2 there is now an option in the Dock divider for choosing the way the Dock looks.

Note: Also works on the side for people who want 3D on the side.

Attached Files:

2. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Wow, that's cool. Glad they're listening to the feedback.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

It was hardly difficult to change it before, but its still cool...I hope they improve the looks of the side-dock though, its not as nice as Tiger, and CandyBar can't change it...

4. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Niiiice... I like the Shelf look but I do miss the smoothness of the dock in Tiger.

5. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Awesome! I was hoping Apple would do this.

Hope 10.5.2 fixes the problem where newly-installed apps in the Applications stack have X-ed out icons (see attachment). Currently I have to open up the Terminal and execute "killall Dock" to fix the icon.

Attached Files:

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Can you tell us what the menubar looks like when the 'Translucent menubar' option in System Preferences is unticked? Is it like Tiger? With rounded corners?

7. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Not sure where you got that grab but thats not an option in the build I have.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I have the opaque menu bar (not by choice) - it's grey (lighter than the UI grey) and the icons in it are black.

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

A simple fix, but nice to see, as it means Apple is no doubt taking the feedback it has been receiving seriously. Looking forward to further tweaks and improvements.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

it looks like they have changed it^^^ the white border isnt there and it looks a bit more opaque.

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

You guys... unfortunately a developer just PM'd me and told me that this was fake. That's a bummer, I was really looking forward to having that right in my Dock menu. I guess on the bright side though, maybe Apple will see people wanting the old Dock back and give us a UI option for switching it.

12. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

I agree it's fake; note the really dark blue (black?) lines at the top and bottom of the blue bar denoting the selected item. When I open my dock settings and highlight an item with this in the background they look pretty different. I don't think apple would have changed the highlight just because they added an option. I think this person did a bad job faking...

Attached Files:

13. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I second that, I hate that newly installed apps end up with that line through the circle in Stacks, I'm sure that will be a fix from Apple soon, but why are using Terminal commands? Just log out and log back in and the icon is updated.

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Actually, you have to click on the image to see the full resolution screenshot. Also, it wasn't done with Photoshop... it was done by simply editing the DockMenus.plist file inside the Dock.app resources. Done, next.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Terminal is a lot easier, but if you're not comfortable, just remove the stack and add it again :)

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

how to do you do this? i know the terminal commands do switch the dock from shelf to flat but how do you add options using the dockmenus.plist?

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think it will look like the menu bar when you boot into safe mode... try it :) it looks like the value of ~0.6 using the environmental variables menu bar hack that surfaced a little while ago around here. unless its a fake!? why would apple put that option in the desktop picture preferences? you would think theyd put it in appearance.

18. rhyndu macrumors regular

~~ Nevermind, should have read the thread through completely. See richthomas's responce above ~~

19. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Hmm, OK so the rational may have been a bit off, but it's still a fake and you didn't post it as such; so um I guess bring on the next faking jerk-off so I can get the method they faked it with wrong again...