Dock appearance question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RodChester, May 20, 2011.

1. RodChester macrumors regular

RodChester

Ok I've done some searching and did not come up with anything so I am gonna ask here. What I would like to do is always have my dock show when I am viewing the desktop, and have it be hidden whenever there are applications open. All I have been able to do is just hide the dock all of the time. Is this kind of setup possible somehow?

2. eleven7 macrumors regular

Not sure if you can do it automatically, could look at applescript to see if it's possible to write something up. If not you could use command + option + d when you are using your apps to hide it?

3. Rowf macrumors regular

Sound like a useful thing to have working.

I found this:http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=210839

It may help in what you're looking for.

It's a bit beyond me but I may look into it a bit further and have a go:)

It's quite an old thread, I assume the tools in Snow Leopard would work o.k with this?

4. Rowf macrumors regular

I tried it and it works.

I just replaced "aperture, photoshop" with "Scrivener" and followed the instructions to save the script as an application.

The Dock hides when I open Scrivener and is available if I move my cursor down to the bottom of the screen, when I move the cursor away from the bottom of the screen the dock disappears again.
    If I open another application whilst Scrivener is open the dock stays in view but disappears when I close the alternative application.

As noted in the thread, you have to Force Quit to close the script.

Just to point out, I'm new to AppleScript and have only followed the instructions in the post that I linked to, I was curious and wanted to see how it worked.
    There are plenty of tutorials on 'net if you want to go check out what the code means before trying it out.
    Personally, I'm quite taken with it and intend to pursue 'scripting' further.:)