Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toughshot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
I'm contemplating on buying a dock and AV Cables so I can hook my ipod touch up to the TV and I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with any docks they have used with their ipod touch, or if there are any other options that are worth noting for AV cables compatible with the ipod touch besides apples. I have seen a black dock on ebay that is compatible with all the iPods and I will probably grab that, but for AV cables I am coming up short.

kaenai

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Apple makes A/V cables that work just fine; I've been using them with my iPod Video. Haven't tried them on my Touch yet, but since I only use the cables with the dock, I'm sure they will still work.

mekopolis

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
I bought both the RGB component AV cable and the RCA component one, so i could watch the touch on various televisions

the quality on the RGB is better, which is understandable because you have seperate cables for each video color, rather then compressing them all into 1 (yellow one)

if you have your own videos, and or various formated videos on your touch, the resolution, depending on how they were formated, is really skewed, or distorted..but you could format them for the television rather then the ipod, using Vidora ipod software...

widescreen format, on a regular television screen, obviously is smooshed and distorted

one thing that disappoints me about the AV cable is that it will only allow you to stream movies/music videos/and or podcasts (video only) to the screen...I was hoping it would also act as a photo viewer, and or audio playback too...but it does not....the touch software disables this feature, so maybe when the SDK comes out, someone will design a native app that will utilize the cables better

is it worth $50, only if you plan on using it just to watch your itunes movies streamed from you touch, and you dont have an apple tv...

but it does come with a wall adapter for the usb so you can charge the touch while you stream video from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.