Dock behaving like it's broken

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Floris, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Since a few hours I have what appears to be a Dock that wants me to hit it with a hammer. Hopefully you guys can help me. Because my default tips don't seem to have an effect.

The issue,

The dock is on the left, small and uses magnify to zoom in a bit.. It auto hides, and I am not using any hacks or tools or plugins to change colors or whatever. It's just default. This has stopped. I have to 'click' on the left of the screen to 'activate' it popping out, and it won't zoom in. I have to click the app to zoom it in as if it's mouse hover. Secondly it will stay in that zoomed in stage. It won't go away, unless there's apple+tab switch to another program or expose.

Apple+Tab also keeps cycling through the icons, as if you're rolling the wheel really hard to cycle through them, i have to apple+tab again to get rid of that and let it behave normal.

If apple+tab works, it doesn't actually go to the program, the menubar changes, but the old program stays in front.

After the below 'Attempts to fix it' the apple+tab issue has resolved, the dock has not.

Attemps to fix it,

What I have done is rebooted the system. No effect.

I have run verify disk and fix disk, (didn't need to fix, it was all ok) no effect.

I have run verify permissions and repair permissions. No effect.

And I rebooted again, again .. no effect.

I have run killall Finder and killall Dock .. no effect.

And now I am trying the community, you guys.

Any tips?

No, I have not installed any programs recently.
    It worked fine for months. And I didn't recently upgrade.

It is just so frustrating when it isn't working and I can't figure out why, or how to fix it. So hoping for your input. Thanks up front.

Oh .. this is a mac pro with 6gb ram, 4tb hdd (internal and external total) and it's the one from 2006 with 2x 2.66 ghz xeon and 10.5.latest leopard.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

try deleting the dock .plist file located in your library

3. Floris thread starter macrumors 68020

Floris

It turns out to be steermouse
    uninstalled and everything works again