iPod Dock connector jammed with lint

gheat93

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
35
0
San Francisco
So, as the title says, I've found the dock connector of my 4th Gen. iPod jammed with lint (it looks like some paper and other detritus likely from my pocket), making it impossible to connect it to my Mac. I've already tried removing it with a toothpick, but ended up compacting the stuff, making it even more difficult to remove. Do you have any suggestions for removing it? Thanks.
Picture attached:
 

Attachments

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
467
1
SFV California
I would use the end of an unfolded paperclip.

Just be careful and make sure you have a lot of light to see in and brush it away with the paperclip end unless you can find a better similar sized tool.

I hope that helps.
 

Argon21

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
94
0
Алейск, RUSSIA
clean the lint trap in your dryer more often. dirty dryer lint trap = more lint in your clothes. also vacuum your home more often, and use a more effective vacuum cleaner like a dyson.

as for cleaning this one, do not use anything metal like a paper clip, or you'll damage the connector. the tooth pick is good, file it down to a sharper point if you need to.
 

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
5,250
603
Cascadia
To reiterate Argon21: Do not use anything metal, like a paperclip or tweezers.

A round, pointy-end toothpick works best, just keep trying. Try inserting it not 'straight down' into the lint, but rather across the entire width of the dock connector, hitting the lint at its innermost point. (So on your picture, have it entering the dock connector at the left, "bottoming out" the dock connector at the right just before it touches the lint.) Then slowly 'poke out' the lint, not trying to dig it out with a lot of force, but just 'brushing' it out.
 

CodeRaven

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
358
515
Florida
Or maybe try one of those little plastic swords that bartenders use for putting fruit into drinks... maybe be thin and strong enough. Good luck.
 

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
1,538
0
East Lansing, MI
If you still can't get it out, take it to the Apple Store. They pulled some lint out of my headphone jack that I didn't even know was in there. Even if it is out of warranty, I bet they would at least give it a shot...
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.