Dock connector line out quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by synystergates, Jul 14, 2010.

1. synystergates macrumors newbie

Has anyone tested the quality of sound coming out of the dock connector while connected to your car or home stereo systems. IMO the 3G sounded better than my iP4 does. And the best sounding of all my iPods is my 20 gig 3rd Gen. Is there any test out there that compare the iPhones audio out quality?

2. meisterjager macrumors member

I use my 3Gs or my 120gb Classic constantly - Can't vouch for iPhone 4, but iPod sounds better than the 3Gs, hands down.. not that 3Gs sounds particularly bad at all, though.

A7X fan, huh?

3. synystergates thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm a fan.

I've had quite a few iPods (3rd Gen, iPod 5th Gen, iPod mini, iPod nano 2nd and 3rd Gen) and 3 iPhones (2G, 3G and 4). I will never get rid of my 3rd Gen iPod because it just sounds so good to me. The audio chip in it is top notch and one of my theories is that since that 3rd Gen they've been making them more affordable to the average Joe and as a cost cutting measure they downgraded to lower quality audio chips. Maybe. I don't know. I think it's just me.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use line out to a FiiO E5 & UE 10 Pro's and find the SQ the same as on my 3G. However if I use the headphone jack direct it seems to sound better than the 3G did. Disclaimer: Any true audiophile should know that comparing SQ on different devices is an extremely tricky business with too may subjective and technical influences. Only a in true DBT can near 100% meaningful results be obtained.