Dock Connector Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by justaphone, Jul 29, 2008.

1. justaphone macrumors member

I have a first gen iPhone...

Last night I went to plug the phone into the charging cable that came with the phone and got nothing... moved the cable at the connection and it lit up/sat the phone down and the charge indicator stopped. Pulled out the dock (I do not normally use this with my case) and decided to give that a try. Same thing...

Now here is the weird part. I have a few cables laying around - I have a few ipods... The cable for my 5g video and my ipod touch both work fine... the only thing that is different is that it is the older style cable (the one with the push release).

Any ideas?

2. philgilder macrumors 68000

sounds like your cable is dodgy

the new cable is exactly the same as the old one, except the push buttons

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The Prongs just make it snug, they dont affect usability at all, i use an old Dock for my Touch.

You just need a new cable, take it to apple and they should be able to just swap the cable over.

4. justaphone thread starter macrumors member

Duh!

Well... thank you all for the feedback. I owe MYSELF a big DUH!!!
    What made me scratch my head and look to this forum to post the question was this:
    I used the cable in question - spotty charge
    I used the dock - spotty charge
    I used another cable - normal charge - no issue
    Since the cable that worked was the OLD style and both the newer dock and cable failed, I thought maybe my connector was going on the phone...

I forgot to try one other thing!!!
    Use the old (working cable) with the DOCK. Dock works fine with the old cable.

So thank you- the other cable was going bad, and I totally ignored the fact that the OLD cable still had to connect to the dock!

I am confusing myself as I type this... so I hope you guys get the idea!

Thanks!

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Those cables and docks are covered by warranty. I've had no problem replacing a dock, or a cable at an Apple Store...:cool: