Dock connector ruined? Need a diagnosis.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by FuNGi, Aug 12, 2011.

1. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hi,
    I recently was using my iP4 in a Logitec portable speaker system and it was exposed to high humidity for several days. One morning, after using it for many hours pool-side the night before on battery, the unit would not power on. The remaining juice left in the thing was used to graphically indicate that the power was very low and that I should connect the unit to it's power supply right away. Here's the thing - it wouldn't charge using the Logitec dock when plugged in (it normally does) or an Apple connector attached to the wall directly or to several Apple laptops I had at disposal. It wouldn't charge or open iTunes when connected. It didn't register as connected at all. So, the battery of course completely died and I've got an expensive and beautiful paper weight. I think the dock is a bit corroded (some blueish discoloration) so I've ordered the replacement part on iFixit.com to have a go at repairing the thing.

Is there anything else I should try before operating? Does my diagnosis make sense?

(note: it is no longer under Applecare, system reseting did nothing, and leaving it plugged in and then powering on my MBP didn't help either)

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You've probably diagnosed the problem correctly and the repair could work.

I avoid water and humidity for my phone as much as I can. That includes keeping it away from the bathroom when showering.

It sounds like yours really got a heavy dose.

3. FuNGi thread starter macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Looking under a magnifying hand-lens and bright light I can see that one of the 16 copper "pins" is missing and several are worn or chipped. I guess the dock has been taking some hits.