Dock count for AppleMail while closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shamanskyh, Feb 4, 2009.

1. shamanskyh macrumors member

Hi! Is there any way I can get Apple Mail to show (and preferably update) the count on the badge while it's closed? The other option I thought of would be having Mail open on login, but hide -- If I did this, can I get the blue indicator to go away for this app only? Thanks for any help!

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Not the way you are describing.

You can use a 3rd party utility to check your inbox and provide a count of unread mail items. Check this site for more: Hawkwings

What's wrong with seeing the blue indicator on the dock if Mail is minimized? Are you wanting to hide your emails from someone?

3. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That's the joy of OS X, you can have lots of apps open but totally hidden, I usually have Safari, Mail, iCal, Address Book, Quicktime, Preview, Skype, Adium etc all open when I start my computer, that way they're already running and quick to respond when I need to use them. Unless you're very short of memory you might find that to be very useful.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm awfully curious about why you have a desire to do this.

To me, the whole point of closing Mail is so it stops checking Email.

I'm sure you have a good reason. I'm just curious as to what it is, if you don't mind sharing.

5. shamanskyh thread starter macrumors member

thanks

it's actually nothing secretive, it's just that I'm a little OCD about my dock. I like to "start fresh" every time I log in, but I guess it's not that big a deal. I was thinking there might be something similar to how iChat can show an online status through the menu bar, but if there's not, it's okay.

:) Thanks for all the replies!

6. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I've been looking for a utility that did this with Mail. Thanks!

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Awesome. :)