Dock crashes once a week?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TH-Gunner, Jul 6, 2008.

1. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

Hey,

For the past month or two, I've been having this problem where my Dock crashes about once a week (6-7 days).

It happens when I log back into my computer (I "switch users" to the login screen when I leave the computer), no other time that I've noticed.

It isn't a very serious problem. The Dock refreshes every time (that's how I can tell it has crashed). It's just a minor annoyance to know that something's up and I don't know what it is.

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this?

Thanks.

2. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

Bump.

I actually wiped my com.apple.dock.plist and made a new one, but that didn't work, apparently. My Dock crashed just right now (about a day after the previous...)

3. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

Bump. Crashes are becoming quite frequent. I even tried restoring my oldest Dock.app in Time Machine.

4. wxboss67 macrumors newbie

You're not alone, this has just started happening to me at random times.

I've searched many forums and this appears to have started being an issue since 10.4.3. So far there haven't been any resolutions that I've been able to find :(.

5. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

Ugh, just happened to me again. I never had a problem with this in 10.4 at all. I think this started with 10.5.3 with me. Is that what you meant to write, 10.5.3 instead of 10.4.3?

What does your crash log report back to you? You can see in your home folder in Library under Logs.

That is, /Users/<username>/Library/Logs. It should say Dock there, and then what thread was crashed, and what was in that crashed thread. What does yours say?

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

It has happend to me too...It is still happening.

But when i posted a thread about this, the guys here told me it was ok so don't mind...!:)

7. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

How can it be ok? lol

It doesn't seem to be causing any damage, but it's just annoying to know that something isn't working the way it's supposed to be working.

It just happened again right now, which is why I'm posting here...

8. qacjared macrumors regular

9. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

What for?

10. qacjared macrumors regular

When I get too lazy to close out the 8 finder windows I opened.

And sometimes the dock can get funny. So restarting it helps.

11. shiningabyss16 macrumors newbie

I would advice that you backup up your system, and use
    Mainmenu. Use mainmenu to clean out all caches, and remove corrupt files etc.

12. mando1246 macrumors newbie

mando1246

Check to see if the dock issues can be reproduced in another user's account. If it doesn't occur in the other account, it will normally be a plist. You may just have to start dividing and conquering until you find the one giving you the problem.

13. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm... I'm beginning to believe that it has something to do with Adium Buddy List being docked to the side of the monitor with the Buddy List's auto-hide feature on.

I say this because I notice that when I change Dock settings, the Adium Buddy List pops out (when it's hiding).

And when I do my log-in, the Adium Buddy List does something weird before my Dock crashes.

14. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

That's a rather interesting observation, my Adium Buddy List is also docked to the right side of the screen, and auto-hide is on. Yea... my Dock crashes randomly too :(

15. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

I've noticed it happening less as of late. But two things have changed: I don't have my computer on 24/7 anymore (so I don't Switch User as often), and I just did a reinstall. I did the reinstall about 2 weeks ago, and I haven't had a crash since, but it had been rare before the reinstall anyway, so we'll see how it goes...

Also, Adium has been updated since then. I didn't see anything about the Dock in the change log, though.

16. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see. One thing I should add is that the Dock crashing usually happens when I have my mouse (Logitech MX-518) plugged in.

Normally, a Dock crash would not concern me, since it restarts instantly. However, once the Dock crashes, Spaces 'forgets' its mouse bindings. The only way to get the mouse bindings back is to logout and then login again. :mad:

There is a short thread at Apple Support Discussions: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6483472

17. TH-Gunner thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. For a mouse, I use a Logitech V220 (notebook wireless mouse). I don't have any key bindings for Spaces or anything like that, so I can't comment on those particular subjects.

As I said throughout this thread, whenever my Dock crashes, it does so ONLY when I'm logging back in from a Switch Users (not logged out completely). I don't get Dock crashes otherwise.

18. mggroup macrumors newbie